Ch. 124 - Saving Alexandria

KATHRYN'S POV

I was thrown back from the sudden blast as I had covered my face. When I landed on my ass, a sharp pain shot up through my spin, causing me to groan out as I could only sit there a moment. When I was able to look over to my left, Daryl was walking back to the front with a grenade launcher over his shoulder. I couldn't help but laugh out once at the sight of him before looking to my right and seeing Abraham and Sasha already on their feet. When I looked back to Daryl, his eyes were on me.

His face was a mask but I could see in his eyes that he was clearly worried since I had yet to stand up. "Here," Sasha said as she held her hand out to me. "Thanks," I said, gladly taking it and allowing her to help me back to my feet as the three of us moved over to where Daryl stood. "He was tougher than he looked," Daryl said as he turned from us for a second as we continued to follow him. "Did he cut you," I asked when I noticed the blood on the back of his vest.

DARYL'S POV

"A little," I said to Kat's question as I sensed her walk up behind me before I felt her place her hand on my shoulder, "what a bunch of assholes." "Let's get you fixed up at home," Sasha said smiling at me from over Kat's shoulder. "Yes ma'am," I said with a nod as I moved away from Kat and opened the door, allowing her to climb into the cab ahead of me. Soon as I climbed in behind her, she was back on my lap with her head once again on my shoulder as I backed away from the burning bits of bodies and bikes. Once we were well on our way, I found myself absentmindedly with my hand on Kat's thigh before it moved up to the small swell at her stomach.

I glanced down when I felt her place her own hand on top of mine. That was when I realized where my hand was resting. Glancing back up for a second, I checked the road to make sure nothing was in the way or that I was veering of the road, then I looked back down at her as she moved her head to peer up at me. "I won't go on anymore runs once we get back home," she said in a small whisper as her eyes connected with mine, "I promise." I didn't say a word, just looked at her for a second longer before looking back up to the road. I left my hand where it was, it seemed like it was keeping her at ease.

It was dark by the time we made it back to Alexandria, Kat had fallen asleep but woke back up when we saw the state of the place. Abraham and Sasha stood up top, firing into the herd of walkers invading our home before finally talking to whoever was on the other side and having them open the door. Kat was seated in the passenger seat until the gate opened and revealed a bloodied Glenn. "Glenn," she cried, jumping out of the cab and running to him. I watched them hug, but his eyes remained on the lookout beside us, watching as Sasha and Abraham helped Maggie and Enid down from where they were.

KATHRYN'S POV

Me and Glenn ran back to the cab of the tanker, climbing in and closing the door behind us. Daryl asked Glenn what happened but he said he knew about as much as us. They started trying to think up ways of getting rid of the walkers when I stopped them with Glenn suggesting leading some away. "No we tried that," I said shaking my head, "Daryl do you think there's enough gas left in this tanker? I have an idea." "I think I know what you're thinkin'," Daryl said with a nod before beating on the roof of the cab to signal to the others to hang on.