Ch. 134 - The Hilltop

KATHRYN'S POV

It wasn't too long before Dad and the others rejoined us outside the building with 4 new faces in tow. Without any introductions, we all made our way back to the RV to continue with the journey to Jesus' settlement as he called it. Upon entering the RV, me and Daryl went to the back with Maggie and one of the guys from Jesus' group, me sitting back on the bed in the back with my legs across Daryl's lap. Maggie was staring over at us as I rubbed circles on my stomach while trying to relax some. But at that moment, I felt a sudden kick where my hand was.

"Daryl," I said quickly as I looked over at him, "give me your hand." "Why," he asked as he gave me a strange look. "Just give me your damn hand," I said reaching over and grabbing his wrist and pulling it to my stomach, placing his hand where mine had been just seconds ago when the baby kicked. He kept staring from where my hand held his and back up to my face, trying to figure out what the hell was going on until he felt the movement himself under his palm. "Was that," he started but hesitated as he looked up at my face.

"Yeah," I said smiling, "the baby just kicked." I watched as he stared down at my stomach in amazement, his hand still placed on my stomach. "Excuse me," the man from Jesus' group said, "sorry for not introducing myself earlier. I'm Harlan." "I'm Kathryn," I said with a smile to the man, "this is Daryl and Maggie." "We were bringing back medication," he said looking back and forth from the three of us before messing in his bag that was seated on his lap, "you guys may have saved more lives than you realize."

DARYL'S POV

I looked towards the door upon hearing footsteps, seeing Glenn walking to stand in the doorway as he looked from Maggie over to the man we were sitting with. "You're a doctor," Glenn asked looking to the man. "Yes I am," he said looking up before looking back to his bag. "You got any prenatal vitamins," Glenn asked. His eyes went over to Kathryn, looking down at her stomach before looking up and back at me where I sat with her. "Not just me," she said shaking her head and looking to Maggie. The man looked from Kat and over to Maggie, a smile on his face. "Congratulations," he said as he looked back to Kat and me.

"When Jesus said that we could see our babies before they were born," Kat started as she looked to the man, "was it because of you?" "Yes," he said with a smile, "I was an obstetrician before all of this." I watched as a smile crossed Kat's face at his words, although they were gibberish to me. "Could you tell us more about the place you're group here is from," Maggie asked as Kat leaned back again to get comfortable in her seat with me.

I kept my eyes on Kat as she listened, along with Glenn and Maggie, to what that guy had to say about the settlement he came from. My attention only turned from Kat when I felt the RV come to a standstill as the sound of Rick pressing on the gas to try and get it to keep going could be heard. Kat turned her attention to me, confused, before easing her way up to her feet so that I could stand and see what was going on. When the five of us that'd been in the back reached the front, Rick and the others were making their way out of the RV.

KATHRYN'S POV

"Dad what's going on," I asked when we reached where he stood. "Jesus says we're there," he said, looking back at me before walking out of the door with everyone else. I walked out right behind Dad, his hand being held out down at the bottom to help me when I noticed all of the mud. "Take it easy Kat," Daryl said from behind me, noticing the same thing I did as I finally stepped down from the RV. I waited for Daryl, only moving when I felt his hand on the small of my back to let me know he was there.

Walking with everyone else, we came to stand on somewhat solid ground as we looked upon a large wooden fence, much like what I imagine the first settlers in America put up when they tried to keep unwelcomed guests out. "That's us," I heard Jesus say as we came to stand next to him, "that's the Hilltop." "Impressive," I said looking over at him as he looked to me as soon as I spoke. "Thank you," he said with a smile before leading the way up to the front gate.