Alive

Chapter 18

*Archer*

Hoots and shouts echoed across the forest when the feminine shriek was heard. I stood there planted on the ground in front of Wendy's cage as I listened. I wondered who the scream could've belonged to. There weren't any other girls on Neverland besides Wendy—unless Pan brought someone new into his game.

"Archer," Wendy's panicked voice quivered. "What was that?"

I crouched down to look into her eyes, "I'm not sure. I'm gunna go look okay?" As soon as I started to stand up, Wendy shot out her hand for mine. She entwined our fingers as she pleaded with me; "don't leave me. Please, Archer. I'm frightened. Ivan could come back for me. He could—" she hesitated as she stared off into the forest, "he could do something to me."

My heart sank at her words. She was so helpless and innocent. I crouched down again and squeezed her hand; "I won't let anything happen to you, do you hear me? Ivan isn't going to come near you. I think someone landed on Neverland, which means Pan, Felix, and Ivan will be there to confront that person. Ivan's gone to the beach. He's not going to hurt you."

Wendy bit her lip but nodded with tearful eyes. She looked up at me, "be careful."

I flashed her a smile, "aren't I always?"  I let go of her hand after one more comforting squeeze and headed back toward camp.

.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.+**+.

Once I arrived back at the camp; everything seemed to be normal. The campfire was lit, the cabins were quiet, the pond was calm, yet something felt off. Just then I saw a few of the other Lost Boys at the fire. I trotted over to them.

"Guys," I began, "what's going on? What was that scream I just heard?"

"W-We don't know." A ten year old boy named Owen stuttered. His hazel eyes held terror as he spoke.

I turned to his older brother, Devin, who let out a long sigh, brushed back his brown hair from his face, and looked at me with an irritated expression. "Some genius skipped right onto Neverland. Don't know who though. Probably some ponytailed sissy."

Owen tugged on Devin's sleeve. "Dev what if it's mommy?"

Devin's expression softened a bit. "Owen," he turned to look at his younger brother, "it ain't mom."

Owen's eyebrows turned into a frown. He pouted as he looked at his brother. "But you just said you didn't know who it was!" His high voice squeaked.

Devin sighed loudly. "Owen, it ain't mom. Hang on, I need to talk to Archer for a minute. I'll be right back okay?"

Owen nodded his head; his blonde hair fell over his eyes as he did.

Devin and I walked over to a nearby tree so we could talk privately. I just wanted answers. I was hoping whoever landed on Neverland would be some savior. We needed one of those.

"Listen," Devin began, "all I know is that Felix, Ivan, Dustin and some other kid went to the beach. Someone landed here but I don't know who. Don't think they knew either. But we'll find out sooner or later."

I gritted my teeth. I hated the idea of someone else being tapped on this forsaken island. Neverland has always been a sugar coated fantasy, but once you're actually living it, you realize it isn't heaven. It's hell.

Suddenly, I saw torch light in the distance, dragging me from my thoughts. As the flame drew nearer, I could make out six figures in the forest. That must've meant there were two new prisoners on Neverland—Poor bastards.

Just then Felix appeared out of the brush with his deadly looking club on his shoulder. Then another Lost Boy came out, and behind him were Dustin and Ivan. The two boys pushed along two other males. One had dark skin, black hair and golden eyes which pierced through the night. They looked almost cat-like. My eyes trailed over to the next boy—suddenly shock overtook me as I gaped.

"What the hell." I whispered with disbelieve. My eyes locked with the boy whose eyes showed confusion when he saw me. I couldn't believe it. It was Baelfire. He was alive.