A Final Answer

Gilan had been stressing out for a week trying to organize different stacks of paper. But every time one stack had been complete, three more seemed to just...appear.
So, when a knock came on his office door, he was a little more than upset as he swung it open. In the doorway stood Halt, one eyebrow raised in that familiar expression.
"Halt." Gilan said as a greeting.
"Gilan?" Halt surpressed a smile. "When was the last time you slept, boy? You look terrible." Gilan allowed himself to huff once.
"You sure know how to ease the stress, Halt. Thank you for that." Halt nodded grimly and stepped inside.
"Gorlog's Beard!" He cursed upon sighting the desk. "No wonder you're growing a few extra gray hairs!" Gilan reluctantly ran his fingers through his hair.
"Look who's talking." He replied. Halt raised his eyebrow, but otherwise ignored the remark.
"And it looks like you haven't thrown away any of your coffee cups since last week." Halt stated.
"Those are from this morning. I'm sorry if I never got around to-" Halt whirled on Gilan before he could finish.
"This morning!" He roared. "My goodness! It's a wonder you haven't dropped dead of a heart attack yet!"
Gilan sighed. "Why are you here, Halt? Or did you travel all this way to criticize me?"
Halt resumed his calmer expression. "No, you're quite right. I do have another reason for coming."
Gilan motioned for him to continue.
"It's Jenny." Halt said.
Gilan's heart leapt to his throat. Jenny? Why would Halt travel to Castle Araluen with news from Jenny? Unless...
"Jen? What happened? Is she okay? I can-" Words flew from Gilan's mouth. Halt raised a hand and chuckled, which only added to Gilan's confusion.
"Relax, Gilan. She's fine. But she couldn't make this trip, what with her diner being so busy this time of year. She wanted me to give you the news."
Gilan swallowed. "News?"
Halt smiled. "Jenny loves to cook, but she feels that it has completely abducted her life. She wants to settle down."
Gilan wasn't sure why, but those last two words made his heart skip a beat.
"So...you're saying..." He managed. Halt gave a rare laugh.
"Yes. After this year is complete next month, Jenny is turning the diner over to one of her best men. Then, she has agreed to leave Redmont and come to Castle Araluen, where you two can be married."