The Right Time

Will was in the cabin, doing his usual daily routine. Although, admittedly, he was more chipper than usual. Later in the day, he was planning to meet Alyss for dinner in Wensley Village.

Which was why, so far, Will had spent at least two hours shaving his face and trimming his hair. Then, after a few hours of practicing with his bow to kill time, and shuffling through meaningless reports, he'd also cleaned the entire cabin. He'd cleaned Tug's stall and taken the horse for a canter through the woods. He had done his laundry and hung it to dry, cooked himself lunch, and was now sitting at his dining table, tapping his finger to the wooden surface impatiently.

3 o'clock.

Three more hours until he was supposed to meet Alyss. Time, it seemed to Will, was dragging by ever so slowly.

He sighed, rising from his chair and moving to make himself another pot of coffee.

"Nothing else to do," he mused as the dark liquid began to brew.

Outside, Tug whinnied in greeting. Curiously, Will peaked his head through the window in his kitchen, somewhat surprised to see Halt riding into the clearing. There was nothing hasty about demeanor. Will assumed he'd finished his errands early for the day. Unconcerned, he turned his attention back to the coffee pot.

A few minutes later, Will was sipping the liquid at the kitchen table when Halt's light steps made their way up the veranda and the door opened slowly. Will frowned as Halt hesitated in the doorway before stepping through. There was a strange, distracted look on his mentor's face.

"Halt?" Will asked, setting his coffee mug down and frowning slightly at the grizzled older Ranger.

Halt didn't answer. Instead, he shuffled to his bedroom. Curiously, slightly concerned, Will followed him. He remained in the doorway, leaning on the doorpost as Halt sat on the side of his bed, staring blankly in the distance.

It was only now that Will saw the furiously flushed cheeks on his mentor's bearded face. Will's frown deepened and he took a step forward.

"Halt?" he asked again. "Are you feverish? Your face is terribly flushed."

Halt shook his head. Now, Will's worry continued to mount. Halt was being uncharacteristically sluggish and distracted.

Will stepped forward, laying the back of his hand on Halt's forehead. It was normal to the touch, but the fact that Halt didn't pull away or swat at Will deeply concerned the fourth year apprentice.

"Alright Halt, that's it," Will said firmly, stepping back to stare Halt in the face. "What's gotten into you? You're beginning to scare me."

Will waited impatiently as Halt drew in a large, slow breath. Then he released it, just as slowly. But he didn't speak. Will raised an eyebrow.

"Well?" he pressed.

Halt blinked. Then he drew another breath.

"I ran into Pauline on my errands," he finally began. His voice was sluggish, far away like his gaze. Will nodded.

"And?" he said. "You run into her quite often in the village. I don't see the problem?"

Like anyone else who had ever met Halt and Pauline, Will was well aware of the fondness between them. He had often noticed Halt's change in demeanor around the graceful diplomat. But never had Will seen Halt behave like this.

Halt blinked several more times.

"We began to talk," he continued slowly. "And she said she must be going back to the castle."

Will sensed that Halt was on the brink of saying something, but he was holding back. Eager to hear what had affected his mentor so deeply, Will leaned forward.

"And then?" he pressed. Halt sighed heavily.

"And then..." he struggled to say. "And then I... kissed her."

Will's mouth dropped open instantly.

He blinked several times, completely and totally shocked by Halt's words. Not only that the man had kissed Lady Pauline, but also that he was admitting it to Will.

"You... kissed her?" Will repeated slowly. Halt nodded absently.

"I kissed her," he confirmed. Then, as if Will had doubted it, he added, "on the lips."

Will took several minutes to process the information.

"Well... did you... was it..." he stumbled, not sure how to phrase his question. "Did she like it?"

He cringed slightly at the phrase, but he wasn't sure what else to say.

Halt, however, only shrugged slowly.

"I don't know..." he mumbled. "I mounted Abelard and rode away."

Will had to physically bite his tongue to keep from laughing.

"You... hold on just a second," he said. "Let me get this straight. You kissed Lady Pauline, Head of Redmont's Diplomatic Services. And then you simply rode away?"

Halt turned a pained expression to Will. He nodded dejectedly.

Will shook his head, forcing the smile that was playing on his lips to hide itself.

"What were you thinking?" he finally asked. Again, Halt shook his head slowly.

"I... was thinking that she looked beautiful," he admitted.

Will stared at his mentor in shock. He'd never heard Halt talk so openly about his feelings, especially those that involved the lovely Lady Pauline. Finally, he shook his head in wonder.

"Well what are you going to do now?" he asked his mentor. Halt returned his distant gaze to the wall.

"I think..." he began slowly. "I think I need to lie down."

Will regarded him with something like amused wonder, finally laughing softly to himself and leaving the room.

"Good luck with that," he told Halt before shutting his door firmly.

Back in the main room of the cabin, alone, Will froze in place as he found himself wondering what it would be like to kiss Alyss.

Suddenly, Halt's situation wasn't so funny.

Then Will shook his head.

"Not tonight," he muttered. "It's not the right time tonight. But one day. One day..."