Let's Hope Part 2

Maddie couldn't sleep. She kept tossing and turning, unable to shut her mind off. 

After her conversation with Will two days ago, she hadn't been able to shake the question about the man. What if he had been acting like a simple foreigner just to confirm her identity? What if he was planning to kidnap, or worse, hurt her? Of course, being in a cabin with a Ranger, and Will Treaty at that, was possibly the safest place she could be. But even then... what if Will got hurt trying to protect her? If that happened, Maddie thought, she would never forgive herself. Never.

For possibly the tenth time in an hour, Maddie groaned and rolled over in bed. She began to play out the events that were haunting her in her head. If the man managed to get into the front door, she would grab the saxe knife that had stayed under her pillow for the last two nights. Then she would sneak over to the door. She'd wait until he tried to enter her room, trusting that Will's superior training would keep him safe on his own. And then, when the door opened, she would reach out and strike him right on the back of his skill with the hilt of her saxe.

As Maddie mentally pictured the process, she heard a sound from beyond her bedroom door. Instantly, she froze. The blood felt as if it was draining from her face. Her heart began racing. Slowly, she inched her hand under her pillow.

As her door creaked open slowly, she pulled the knife out and held it in front of her. By now, she had no time to hide behind the door.

"S-stop right there," she said, and the door froze. She could just barely see a shadow in the doorway. "Don't come any closer."

There was a pause.

"Wasn't planning on it. I was just going to poke my head in and ask if you were in here wrestling a bear."

Maddie breathed a sigh of relief.

"Will?"

Will stepped inside.

"Who else would it be?" he asked gruffly. It was obvious, despite his ability to wake almost instantly, that he had been in a deep sleep moments ago.

Maddie took a deep breath, sitting up more properly in her bed. She casually laid the saxe knife down on her lap. Will saw it, frowning.

"I hope that wasn't in your bed while you were trying to sleep," he said disapprovingly. Maddie avoided his gaze. Will, clever as he was, took this to mean that the knife had in fact been in her bed. He sat down by Maddie's feet and raised an eyebrow at her.

"I suppose I should rephrase that," he corrected. "Why were you sleeping with your saxe knife in your bed?"

Maddie hesitated, chewing her lip nervously. She didn't want to admit that she'd been overthinking the encounter with the Celt in the village, or Will's conversation with her about the man.

"Maddie?" Will pressed. Finally, Maddie caved.

"Just in case..." she muttered. Will waited for a few seconds before he pressed her further.

"In case of...?"

Maddie glanced at him.

"In case that man comes for me," she said weakly. For a moment, Will didn't respond. Then, he gently took the knife from Maddie's hands.

"Let's put this back over on the table, shall we?" he asked. Maddie allowed Will to take the knife. Then he patted her arm in a comforting manner. "Go to sleep," he soothed. "You're safe. And tomorrow, we'll settle this once and for all."

Maddie watched curiously as Will stood and moved to leave the room.

"What does that mean?" she asked. Will turned back briefly, winking at her.