Part Two (From My Last Story)

Per several requests on my last story, "Don't Mess With A Ranger's Master," here's part 2! (Excuse the absence of an actual title😂)

Halt and Will limped through the dark corridor, Will searched every crevice on the wall in hopes that it might be a way out.

"Remind me... again..." Halt said between breaths, "why we can't go out...the way you came...in."

Will chewed his lip anxiously, preparing himself for a scolding.

"Because I climbed the tower and came in through that window," he replied, pointing as they conveniently passed the point Will had come into the old castle from.

Halt didn't answer for several minutes. Will noticed that his mentor seemed to be growing heavier.

"Halt?" He asked. The grizzled Ranger didn't reply. It was obvious to Will that his mentor was in no shape to keep going. Nervously, Will glanced around before leading Halt to the wall. Carefully, he lowered the man to the ground. Halt sighed gratefully, and Will knew that the man was injured terribly to be grateful for the stop.

"Halt, can you keep a lookout?" Will asked.

The man looked up wearily. "Yes," he said, despite his worn expression. Will, knowing his master would never be so stupid to accept the responsibility if he knew he couldn't fulfill the task, left Halt to keep watch while he took to checking Halt's injuries.

His left arm, the one that would hold his bow steady if he had the weapon, was swollen terribly near his wrist.

"Can you move this?" Will asked. Halt obliged distractedly, wincing and gasping at the pain. Still, the hand had moved.

"It's not broken," Will decided. "Possibly fractured or sprained."

He moved on, using his jerkin to wipe blood from Halt's arms and face.

"Ow," Halt said, though the complaint wasn't harsh.

"Sorry," Will replied. "Most of it is fresh, Halt. Did they beat you earlier today, before I arrived?"

Halt didn't reply. Will felt his anger rise. He stood up, slinging his bow and notching an arrow as he did.

"Will, what are you-" Halt began, but Will waved a hand at him.

"I'm getting us out of here," he replied through his anger. "Stay there."

Then, Will marched down the hall. There was no reason to be silent now. He was furious at the men who had hurt Halt, and he had 21 arrows left. He was ready to use them.

He turned a corner, praying Halt would be safe where he was, and sighed aloud as he saw a door at the end. Through the cracks in the door, he could see sunlight beyond.

Unfortunately, there were at least half a dozen guards between Will and the door.

Without hesitation, Will sighted and shot, taking down one guard. Three more fell before the other four could react. Finally, one of them pointed in Will's direction. He took two more down and stared at the remaining two.

They had already taken several strides toward him. He would have time for only one shot.

Will pictured Halt, bloody and broken, around the corner. He set his jaw, took one step forward, and released his arrow.

The short distance between Will's powerful longbow and the two guards was what sealed the deal. The arrow flew clean through the front guard. The man fell dead.

And in his place stood the last guard, staring down at the arrow sticking out of his chest.

The man fell in slow motion, and Will slung his bow around his back, not waiting to watch the man hit the ground.

Will ran back around the corner to find Halt struggling to his feet.

"Halt!" He whispered harshly, careful not to alert any more guards that may be nearby. Will may have been prepared to take on more men, but Halt was in no shape to be near a fight.

"Will!" Halt whispered back. "Thank God. I heard the fighting and I thought-"

"I'm fine," Will assured his master. "Take it easy. Come here and lean on me again,"

Halt did as Will had said.

"Where are we going?" Halt asked. Will took Halt's right hand and draped it around his own shoulders.

"There's a door over here," he said. "I think it might be the way out."

"You think?"

Again, Will winced at the fear of reprimand.

"I came in through a window," Will reminded his master. "I don't know where I'm going right now."

Will waited several seconds, but Halt said nothing. He glanced over to see the grizzled Ranger's head drooping lazily.

"We've got to get you home," Will said, casting a concerned glance at Halt. The man looked up at him with an expression in his eyes that sent fear through Will.

The look was fear itself. Halt was afraid. Afraid of what would happen to him.

"I've got you," Will promised. Then together they made their way outside.

As soon as the door opened, Will knew where he was. Directly in front of him was a forest. Will cast a look around. There were no guards around. In the back of his mind, Will knew to be suspicious. But he also somehow knew that he was safe to call the horses.

Will let out a whistle, and in a few seconds, two barrel-shaped ponies were in view.

"Good boys," Will told the two Ranger's horses as they trotted to a stop. Will immediately led Halt to Tug, lifting him up into the saddle with ease.

Clearly disturbed by the action, and by Halt's condition, Abelard trotted over and stuck his muzzle on his master's knee.

"He's okay, Abelard," Will soothed the horse, patting its neck. "But he can't ride you. I need to hold him steady with me on Tug. Okay?"

Abelard whinnied, tossing his head. With difficulty, Halt reached down and patted the horse's nose.

"It's alright, boy," Halt assured his horse. At the sound of his master's voice, Abelard settled, and Will took this as his cue to mount Tug. He kept Halt in front of him, sitting just behind the saddle to give Halt room. They would have to ride slow. But they could make it work.

"Let's go, Tug," Will said. Then, as an afterthought, he added, "gently."

Tug began a quick walk toward the woods again.

"Follow," Halt croaked, and Abelard quickly fell in line behind Tug.

After a grueling several minutes, they finally made it to the cover of the forest.

"Halt?" Will tested.

"Mmm," the man groaned. Will took this as a cue to continue.

"How are you feeling?"

Halt hesitated.

"Better then when I was being beaten," he finally replied.

Will's heart sank, and he finally broke.

"I'm so sorry, Halt," he whispered, his voice cracking with emotion. "When I left the clearing, I thought you were right behind me."

Will felt Halt's hand touch his knee gently.

"It's alright, Will," Halt said, though his voice was strained. "It wasn't your fault."

Will wanted to argue that it was his fault, but he knew that Halt was in too much pain to be discussing such matters. Instead, Will slid down the back of Tug's flank and moved to walk alongside Tug.

"Lie down against Tug's neck," Will suggested. "I'll hold you steady. You can rest."

Without a thought, Halt did so. Will wrapped his arm over Halt's arm and under his shoulder, holding him firmly in place. In seconds, Halt was snoring.

Will patted Tug's neck affectionately.

"Come on, boy," he said. "Let's get Halt home."