Unexpected Gathering Pt.2

Will felt his breath catch. It took all the self control he had to keep himself from whirling around to face the man in both surprise and indignation.

He took several seconds to regain his composure. Then he turned to look at the man in confusion.

"What do you mean?" he asked, barely keeping the anger from his voice.

Colsan was regarding him carefully. Speaking about such things, especially to the apprentice of one of the subjects of conversation, was dangerous. Will knew that Colsan was no fool. If he was, he wouldn't be in the Corps. But why he was asking Will to betray Halt, Will didn't know. Surely this man didn't expect Will do actually betray his master?

"Come now," Colsan said, flashing Will a winning smile. His teeth were irritatingly perfect, Will thought. "You know surely that it's dangerous to have the same people in power for too long?"

Will hesitated. He had to play his cards just right, else he might lose the chance to gather any information from this man.

"Typically speaking," Will replied carefully, "I suppose that is true."

Colsan nodded encouragingly.

"Exactly," the man said. "I knew an intelligent boy like yourself would understand. Your reputation precedes you, young Will."

Will gave Colsan a quizzical look.

"And what reputation would that be?" he asked.

Colsan waved a hand dismissively.

"Clever," he replied. "That you could always tell the right course from the wrong within seconds. Selfless enough to put personal feelings to the side for the greater good. That's why I knew I could approach you about this. I knew you wouldn't let your admiration for your own master get in the way of making an important decision for the better of the Corps."

Will couldn't help but frown now.

"And what decision have I made, exactly?"

Colsan winked at him.

"Exactly," he said meaningfully. "We mustn't let anyone on to us."

Will averted his eyes, catching sight of something across the clearing. Halt and Gilan were emerging from a central tent, followed by Crowley. Colsan followed his gaze.

"Good eye," he said, standing. "I'll try to catch you some other time. I know you're still relatively young, so I'll keep an eye on Halt and Crowley for the both of us. If either of them gets too close to catching us, I'll make whatever happens to them looks like an accident."

Thankfully, the man turned and jogged away, so he didn't hear Will's involuntary gasp of surprise at his threat.

Now, not only was Will caught in the middle of something he very much did not want to be involved in, but he couldn't tell Halt or Crowley, or even Gilan for that matter, about it without putting their lives on the line. And Will wasn't prepared to do that.

He was going to have to figure out another solution on his own.

"Will, good lord, boy," Halt said as he and Gilan approached. "What ever is the matter with you? You look awfully pale. You're not coming down with something are you?"

Will bit his lip, shaking his head to clear it for the time being. 

"No, Halt," he replied, his voice coming out softer than he'd intended. "I'm fine."

He noticed Halt and Gilan both flash him a confused, and mildly concerned, look before they both shrugged and moved to set up their own tents. Will made himself busy with the fire, not sure that he could put on a convincing show of being completely normal.