Their Reactions

This story is a little different I guess. As you know, Maddie almost died in The Royal Ranger. But what were Horace and Cassandra's reactions? Did they blame Will? This is how I think it would've gone...

    Will rode right beside Maddie as they approached Castle Araluen. After she'd woken up that night, that awful night that Will thought he'd lost her, she had asked Will to take her back home.
    So he had. She was still extremely woozy from blood loss, but she refused to stop anywhere. She wanted her parents.
    Now, as they rode, Maddie swayed in the saddle.
    "Maddie?" Will said, putting an arm out to steady her. "Hey, don't overdo it, Maddie."
    "I won't," her voice was sightly slurred. Will knew he'd better get her inside as quickly as he could.
   He lifted her up and pulled her over to him. He knew something was wrong, because she didn't complain. Will held her in his arms as Tug sped up. Bumper followed instantly.
    They went through the Castle gates and Will dismounted, still holding Maddie in his arms. He carried her all the way up the castle stairs and to her parents' front door, where he kicked to serve as a knock.
    Horace opened the door, and Will's heart shattered at his expression. He looked pleased to see Will, but almost immediately noticed Maddie. His face became horror-struck. Fear and protectiveness all showed.
   "Madelyn..." He whispered. A tear rolled down his cheek as he looked back at Will, pain in his eyes. "What happened to my daughter, Will." His voice shook.
    "She's not...she isn't gone, Horace. Just let me in so I can explain." Will pled. It helped that Maddie moaned at that moment.
     Horace stepped aside and Will took Maddie to a couch, where he laid her. She was so limp and pale, Will wasn't surprised that Horace had thought her to be dead.
    Horace knelt beside Maddie, stroking her face gently with one hand, while the other held Maddie's hand tightly.
    "Horace," Will began, his voice wavering. "It's my fault. We were on a mission, but it was tied to Jory; he killed the Ranger, and we were looking into it. When I...when I saw Jory, I lost all my focus. The only thing that mattered to me was...killing him." As Will spoke, tears fell from his face. He stopped to see if Horace was mad at him yet, but his friend kept his eyes on Maddie.
   "Jory caught me and tied me to a post. I couldn't move. He was going to...burn me alive, 'in memory of Alyss,' he said. Maddie..." He swallowed. "Maddie saved me. She snuck down the hill and untied me. Jory was drunk, and he fell into the fire...but right before that he threw his spear at me...and Maddie...pushed me and it struck her instead and I.. Horace, I almost couldn't save her! I thought she was...dead. The spear had severed an artery. She lost a lot of blood and it hurt her even more when I had to remove the blasted tip. I...I thought I'd... Lost her..."
    His voice broke off. Horace looked up, tears shining in his eyes.
    "My little girl...my baby...she did all that?" He asked.
    "Yes," Will replied. "And more."
    Horace looked back at his daughter. Maddie hadn't stirred, but she'd fallen into a deep sleep; something she hadn't had since her injury. Will guessed she felt comforted, with her dad beside her.
    "I don't blame you, Will. You're already beating yourself up more that I ever could." Will sighed, relieved.
   "Besides, she isn't gone. She's right here. If that spear really burst that artery, it's a wonder she's still here. I'm just grateful she had you to take care of her."
   Will was about to protest that he was the reason she was hurt at all, when Cassandra came in from the hallway.
   "Will?" Her voice shook slightly. "Where's Maddie?"
    "Cassandra, here." Horace motioned for her to come. When she got to the couch, she gasped.
    "Maddie? What happened to her?" She cried.
    "No, Cassie, she's okay. Her leg is hurt, but she's alive."
    Cassandra dropped to her knees beside Horace and wrapped her arms around his wastrle, crying.
     "She saved my life, Evenlyn." Will said. He still could not think of her as Cassandra.
     "Her leg...what did she do?"
     "She pushed me out if the way of a spear thrown by Jory. It caught her on the hip, on the artery."
    Cassandra nodded. Horace continued to hold Maddie's hand and stroke her cheek. He looked at his wife and kissed her of the forehead.
    At that moment, when nobody was watching, Maddie opened her eyes.
   She sighed slightly. Will, Horace, and Cassandra looked at her.
   "Maddie!" Horace cried. He laid his head on the couch beside her head. "Oh, Maddie." He squeezed her hand and began to cry silently.
    "Madelyn, are you okay?" Cassandra asked. "Do you need anything, I can get you-" But Maddie stopped listening. Her eyes fell on Will, sitting with his head in his hands.
    "Don't blame him," Maddie said quietly. Horace and Cassandra looked at their daughter.
   "What?" They asked.
   "Don't blame Will. He did everything right. He saved my life with just what was in his medical bags. Please, don't blame him." Maddie was breathing a little harder when she finished.
   "Maddie," Cassandra said. "We never would've blamed Will."
    At that moment the door opened. A servant walked in and said, "Lady Cassandra, Sir Horace. You're needed in the throne room immediately."
    Both thanked the servant and looked back at Maddie, who was nearly asleep again.
     "Maddie, we'll be back as soon as we can." Horace said, kissing her head.
    "Okay..." She said before closing her eyes. Horace smiled and got up, leading Cassandra out the door. Will was left, watching Maddie as she breathed evenly. His mind wondered elsewhere.
    "Will?" A small voice brought him back. He looked to see Maddie, her eyes still closed.
     "Maddie, I'm right here." Will said as he got up and sat on the floor beside her.
    "Don't leave," she barely got the last words out before sleep took her again.
     Will smiled, taking her hand in both of his.
      "Never," he said, and meant it with all his being.