I've Got You

Jenny closed the door softly so as not to wake Gilan. She turned in their small bed chamber in castle Araluen.

Jenny had lived here for several years now with Gilan after they had married. At times, she missed her home at Redmont. But what she really missed was the people. And they visited enough for Jenny to get by.

"Jen?" A soft, sleepy voice asked. Jenny crawled into the bed. Immediately, warm arms wrapped around her. She felt the muscles tensing and couldn't help but blush. While she loved Gilan for who he was as a person, his toned figure was a nice bonus.

"I'm sorry," she whispered, reaching a hand up to run her fingers through her husband's hair. "I needed a drink of water. I didn't mean to wake you."

Now that her eyes had adjusted to the dark room, she could see the outline of Gilan's head as he rose up to look at her.

"You has the dream again, didn't you?" He asked gently.

Jenny didn't reply. He was right. Somehow, even when she tried her best to hide it, Gilan could always tell when something was wrong.

And for that past several weeks, that something had been a horrible, repetitive dream. It always started out with she and Gilan enjoying a nice picnic in the field just outside of the castle's walls. But suddenly, dark clouds blotted out the sky. A man appeared on a distant hill and raised a bow. He drew back and shot. Jenny was forced to watch as the arrow sped toward her. Then, at the last second, strong arms pushed her aside and she fell to the dirt.

When she rolled over, she was staring into the dying eyes of Gilan.

Each time, she woke in a cold sweat, although she had finally stopped screaming out. This time had been no different, and she had gone for a refreshing drink of water.

"Come here," Gilan's sleepy voice soothed as he pulled Jenny closer. She felt tears well up in her eyes. He was here to protect her now, she thought. But his job was a dangerous one, and one day he may not be here. The thought broke Jenny's heart.

Gilan must have felt her shoulders shaking with silent sobs, because he reached up a hand to smooth back her hair.

"Jen," he lulled. "Breathe. Just breathe. I've got you."

"What if you don't, one day?" She sobbed out. She felt Gilan pull her even tighter, and her face was buried into his soft night shirt.

"I will always have you," he promised. "Now close your eyes and go back to sleep."

Jenny allowed herself to be rocked back and forth in Gilan's arms as the man held her. Finally, she drifted back to sleep.

"I love you," Gilan whispered to his sleeping wife. His girl. His Jenny. "And I will always have you."