Chapter 7

Grace, having been surrounded by memories that she had tried to forget, was still wide awake when the sun rose the next morning. She had thought she had buried the ones that left scars long ago, but they were always there, ready to float to the surface.

She always slept with a light on but last night had been an 'every light on' kind of night. She had wanted no shadows in the room.

She got out of bed and moved into the bathroom, groaning at the way she looked.  She was deathly pale, and the dark circles under her eyes were not going to be covered by makeup. She stripped and stepped into the shower, letting the hot water wash over her aching muscles caused by a night of tension.

Grace's brain told her to relax that there was a lock on the door and no one in this house wanted to cause her harm, but it was an ingrained fear, and it still amazed her that she could feel the fear so strong even after thirteen years.

She dressed in her boots, jeans, and old work shirt.  They would be digging today and, although she was exhausted, she welcomed the physical exercise that she knew would exhaust her even more, allowing her to sleep that night.

Grace had wondered in the wee hours of the morning, how a simple conversation with Bryce caused so much emotion, and she had figured out that the answer; she feared what he could make her feel.  He had the power to hurt her and she hadn't allowed anyone that power for the past thirteen years. She cared what he thought and this, coupled with her fear, was what had made sleep elude her.

When she entered the dining room a short time later the object of her thoughts was the only one there, and he looked up at her, frowning as he studied her.

Grace ignored him and walked over to the sideboard pouring herself a cup of coffee.

"I noticed you were up late last night,"  he said, setting down his fork.  "The light from your room was still on when I passed by on my way to bed."

"I must have fallen asleep with the lights on." She picked up one of the newspapers on the table and read the headlines as she sat down.

"You still sleep with the lights on?" Rainer asked, joining them.  He must have heard Bryce's comment as he entered.

"Something like that." She turned her attention back to the paper.

Rainer walked up to her and put his finger under her chin lifting her face. "You look awful Grace, aren't you hungry?"

"No, not this morning." He dropped a kiss on the top of her head then moved to make himself a plate. She felt Bryce looking at her, and she turned to meet his gaze head-on. She had expected judgment in his look, but if he was judging her, he hid it well behind his emotionless eyes.

Grace noted that he was dressed casually in a button-down shirt that was open at the collar showing his tan neck, but the rest of him was hidden under the table.

"Don't even try brother.  If my inquisitiveness and natural ability to draw people out has not worked on Grace I doubt you will fare any better," Rainer said, apparently able to read something in Bryce that she hadn't been able to read.

Bryce gave one of his heart-stopping grins and leaned back into his chair, which was not at all what Grace was expecting him to do. "You know me, brother. I like a good riddle." Rainer and Bryce exchanged a look that went way above Grace's head.

Grace decided to ignore them and focus on the paper.

A moment later Cybil and Alec entered together, something that Grace found very interesting.  Maybe she wasn't entirely off about a romance. Grace finished her coffee then stood up looking at her watch.