Deleted Scene 4 (Part II of the original ending)

Grace pulled her jacket tighter around her as she climbed the steps to the building that housed her office. She had just entered the warmth of the lobby when she heard her name.

"Grace!"

Grace turned to see Rainer towering above the others as he hurried to catch up to her in the lobby.

Why now, why him. She had survived seeing Bryce, wasn't that enough?

Rainer expression was stern as he caught up to her. When he reached her he stopped, looking down at her as if he was trying to figure out a puzzle.

"Rainer, I was just on my way to my office before my class."

"Lead the way." He held out her had for her to proceed him, she sensed that there was no way he was going to easily let her get away. She had never experienced the displeased Rainer before and it was almost as intimidating as a displeased Bryce.

Sighing, she started up the stairs with Rainer's arm tucked in hers. "I only have half an hour before my class starts so we will have to make it quick."

Grace didn't miss the glances Rainer was getting as he was recognized. There was plenty of female attention thrown his way and even a few breathy hellos from the females.

As the entered her office Rainer closed the door behind him, but the window next to her door told her that some of the women she worked with were taking the long way around the offices to get to their desks, and it made Grace smile.

'What's so amusing?" he crossed his arms.

"You," she pointed to the window, "them."

He turned to look out the window and caught a few women looking at him. Giving his most charming smile to them before he closed the blinds. When he turned back towards her he had turned his look of displeasure on high.

"Did your roommates tell you that I stopped by to visit you a few weeks ago? You were out with your new boyfriend James." He crossed his arms in front of him.

Grace felt her smile fade as she sat in the chair behind her. "No, they didn't mention it."

She knew that Christine and Angie would have told him all. Even if they had been able to keep the secret with everyone else, Rainer would have had it out of them in only a few minutes.

He watched her silently as she stared at him. She wasn't going to admit something that he might not know.

"I'm confused Grace." Rainer took the seat opposite her desk.

"Are you Rainer? Grace pulled her satchel onto her lap and started to unpack her days work. Gathering the things she would need to take with her to class because it kept her from having to look at him.

"I remember a conversation we had in my apartment where you said that Bryce believed that you had given me something that he wanted that you wouldn't give to him. Now, I may be mistaken, but I had assumed that you were talking about sex. Was I wrong?"

"No." Grace cleared her throat.

"So imagine my surprise when I find out that you were pregnant."

"Were is the operative word there Rainer." Grace's voice broke as she fought the tears.

Rainer looked at her for a moment, allowing her to collect herself.

"Just how well do you know Brian Alexander?"

Grace lifted her head in shock. That was not what she expected.

"I have never met the man but I hear he is a very attractive and rich man." Rainer continued at her shocked silence.