Chapter 9

The next morning Grace was the last one into the dining room. The only two people that were missing were Elizabeth and Douglas who, Grace had learned, always had their breakfast alone.

"Good morning," she greeted the room at large.  She was moving a little stiffly due to the accident the day before but otherwise she felt fine.

She cast a general glance around the room, trying not to let her eyes spend any more time on Bryce than anyone else.

"So Rainer, did you have as good a time as Grace did last night?" Cybil asked, looking from one to the other, as if waiting for one of them to declare their undying love to the other one right there at the breakfast table.

"Why yes, Cybil I did, thank you for asking." Rainer grinned putting down his paper. "Grace and I share a similar sense of humor and that always make outings with her fun."

Grace had finished filling her coffee cup and had taken her seat at the table.

"Why thank you Rainer. It's always nice to be thought of as fun."

Cybil gave a little giggle and all eyes turned to her.

Alec looked up from his plate with a frown. "What's so funny?"

"Oh, I was actually asking more about the goodnight kiss?"

Grace decided that the pattern in the tablecloth was the most fascinating thing she had ever seen.

Rainer looked from Cybil to Grace and then back to Cybil, a question on his face.

"I bumped into Grace in the hall as she was coming in and she looked as if she had been most definitely kissed."

Rainer's grin grew broader. "Did she now?" He knew he hadn't kissed her.

Cybil took his comment and grin as a good sign.

Grace couldn't help darting a look from under her lashes at Bryce, who looked cool and composed as he met his brother's gaze across the table.

"Did you hear that brother?" Rainer turned to Grace, giving her a wink.

"Yes, I heard. It seems you both had a very good time." Bryce lips tipped up in a semblance of a smile as went back to reading his paper.

Alec must have been bored by the conversation because he rose from the table. "Come on Cybil, let's get our stuff together. Meet you out front Grace?" Cybil cast one last smile towards Rainer and rose from the table to follow Alec.

Rainer was watching Grace, who was looking at the tablecloth and sipping her coffee.

"So Bryce," Rainer asked in a jovial voice. "Who won last night, me or you?" Rainer, always the smart one, had figured out that while he got to spend the evening with Grace, Bryce had gotten the goodnight kiss.

Grace was mortified by Rainer's question and stood up quickly, she was not going to sit around and have two men rate her.  She felt her anger rising. Both brothers looked surprised by her action.

"I think you've upset Grace Rainer." Bryce folded his paper. "But for the record brother, I won for sure."

Bryce stood up. "I apologize for my brother's poor manners and ungentlemanly tactics." He walked towards her smiling. When he reached her he took her chin in his hand tilting her face up towards his.  Grace noticed the wrinkles at the corner of his eyes.  Why had she never noticed those before? He also had the beginnings of lines in his cheeks that suggested he laughed a lot. His brilliant blue eyes met hers and she couldn't have looked away if she had wanted to.

"May I say you look lovely this morning Grace." Then he lowered his head and took her lips in a gentle kiss that made her tremble.

When he broke away he shot his brother a grin.