Chapter 12

Christine and Angie were jealous of her invite. They had both tried to get tickets for the show during its eighteen month run and had failed, and since they had the chance to see Mason and Cassandra in their first production 'Save the Last Dance' they knew what they were missing. According to them, it added insult to injury that she had also been invited by the star's sister. It had been a relief to get out of the house.

When Grace arrived at the theater and picked up her ticket, she realized that it was for a box seat and she couldn't help being a little excited because she had never been to a Broadway show before. When she arrived at the box, Lizzy and Trisha were both already there, people watching.

"Oh good, you found us," Lizzy said, waving her into a seat next to hers.

Grace was enjoying listening to the two friends' gossip about some of the people below. She had never had a best friend but she imagined that if she had it would have been exactly like what Trisha and Lizzy shared.

The door behind them opened and Grace was the first one to turn around. She was expecting to see Rainer but instead she got a magnificent eyeful of Bryce.  Her first thought was that he looked awesome in a tux, her next was, why was he there?

She saw the quick look of surprise in his eyes, making Grace was feel sure that he was not expecting to see her, but his surprise was quickly masked and the ever present coolness returned before the others turned around.

"Bryce!" Lizzy rose and gave him a quick kiss on the cheek. "What are you doing here? I was expecting Rainer."

Bryce returned her kiss and nodded towards Grace and Trisha. "He had something come up at the last minute. He knew I hadn't seen the show yet and that this would be my last chance, so he offered me his ticket."

Grace wanted to give a very unladylike snort.  She had no doubt that Rainer was playing matchmaker again.  She would bet her last dollar that Lizzy mentioned that she had met Grace and invited her to the show to Rainer.

Bryce did one of his silent demands looking from Lizzy to Grace, wanting an explanation, and Grace bit back a smile and turned to look back down at the audience.

"You know Grace of course. I only met her today.  She's going to be helping at the Fosters fundraiser, and I'm afraid that your overprotective sister put her foot in it and was horribly rude. So to make amends I offered her Trisha's extra ticket for this evening."

"You should have seen Grace put Lizzy in her place. The only other person who has ever been able to do that is you, Bryce." Trisha smiled at Bryce.

Bryce returned her smile without comment,  settling into a seat beside Grace.

"So Grace, is this your first Broadway show?" His voice sounded bored.

Grace could feel the heat coming off of his arm as it rested next to hers. That small connection was making her heart leap.

"Yes." She gave him one of her rare happy smiles.

He looked away from her and into the audience and Grace followed his lead by doing the same.

"I didn't know that!" Lizzy exclaimed.  "That makes this extra exciting."

Grace could feel Trisha's gaze on her and Bryce.  "I think I'm going to get a drink before the show starts, is anyone else interested?" Trisha jumped up from her seat. "Come on Lizzy."

Bryce was coolly polite after they had left and Grace berated herself, what did she expect? Did she really think that Bryce was going to sweep her into his arms and tell her he had been wrong, that she was the one for him?