Chapter 17

The flight to Savannah on Brian's personal plane was short and took less than an hour. As the hired car drove them to their hotel through the streets of the city, Grace's memories began to return. The moss on the trees and the tourists walking the squares were both so familiar that she got a little panicky. Why did she think she could do this?

"So," she cleared her throat, "is your business based in Savannah?" she asked it in hopes that a conversation would distract her from the heaviness in her chest.

"No, New York, but my lawyer had some other business in Savannah so he asked if I would meet him here, and since he is my best friend, and I owe him more than a few favors, I agreed." He smiled over at her.

Grace returned his smile, not realizing how desperate hers looked.

The car pulled into a fancy hotel that was perched above the Savannah River.  It was dusk and the sun was just starting to set.  She could hear the cicadas in the trees and the music from the restaurants along River Street which was below their hotel. All of it was so familiar even though she had not been home in twelve years.

Brian held out his hand as she exited the car, putting an arm around her waist as if he sensed she needed support. They were passed by a couple of drag queens leaving the restaurant, and Brian leaned down and whispered in her ear, "I always forget how crazy this city is, it always seems as if the crazier it is the better it is."

Grace gave a smile at his accurate description of her city.

They breezed through check-in and agreed to meet in the lobby in half an hour for dinner.  "Where would you like to go?" Brian asked.

"There's a pizza place just around the corner, I used to love going there when I was younger," Grace suggested.

"Vinny's?"

"Yes." She smiled, he knew it which meant it must still be there.

They parted and Grace went to her room. The view was stunning.  It looked down on the river below and the large bridge was on her left. She leaned her head against the cool glass.

Home, it felt the same.

She freshened up in the bathroom, unpacked the few clothes she had, and then it was time to meet Brian in the lobby. He was on the phone when she saw him and he waved her over but by the time she reached him he had hung up and took her hand.  "I hope you don't mind if we're a few more at dinner?"

Grace shook her head. She didn't mind. In fact, the more the merrier which would make it less likely that she would have the chance to let her mind journey down memory lane.

"Are you ready to show me your city?" 

They walked out of the hotel and into the hot and steamy night.  Savannah was not like Atlanta.  They were right on the coast so the nights could be very humid. Grace was glad that she had brought a hair clip as she wound her hair up loosely and fastened it to the top of her head.

Brian looked at her with a grin. "Ready?"

She nodded and he took her hand again as they walked into the mob of tourists on the streets. Grace led him through the scenic route to the restaurant, walking through a few squares and past a few bands.

When they arrived at the restaurant they were told that they had to wait for the rest of their party to arrive before they could be seated so Brian and Grace sat on a bench people watching.  She wasn't sure which one of them had started the game but they had their heads together, laughing at a lady in spandex whose face looked like it had been painted on after one too many beers. They leaned into each other laughing as her boyfriend tried to catch her and failed.