Deleted Scene 5 (Part III of the original ending)

The next day at seven the doorbell rang. Grace knew it was Rainer before he entered the living room.

The man was stubborn. "I said no, Rainer."

"Grace you cannot say no to Rainer Stevens," Angie hissed.

Christine was just too dumbfounded to say anything.

"Grace, if you don't go get dressed right now I will take you just like you are." He took a step towards her.

"Why won't you all leave me alone?" She crossed her arms across her chest defensivly.

Her admission to Rainer, and then seeing Bryce so soon afterwards had sent her into a downward spiral.

Rainer took another step towards her. "You're family Grace, and I suspect you very much need your family right now."

"Your family is exactly what I do not need."

Rainer looked at his watch. "You have twenty minutes then I will bodily remove you to a cab and then to dinner."

Grace looked at him hard. She had never seen that look of determination in him before. In Bryce yes, but not in Rainer.

"Fine." She stood up and moved towards the door. "But don't expect me to be good company."

"That's the beauty of family, you can be as nasty as you want, but your still family."

Grace turned and stalked from the room heading up the stairs to change. She didn't rush, and she was finally ready forty minutes later.

She looked at herself in the mirror. She had worn the dress Rainer had asked her to wear, piled her hair high on her head, and put on a pair of killer shoes. She looked halfway decent so she declared herself ready to go.

When she walked into the living room it was to find Angie, Christine, and Rainer deep in conversation.

When Rainer saw her he rose, smiling, even though it didn't quite meet his eyes. "You look lovely Grace, shall we go?"

"Liar," she said as she put on her coat.

They walked a bit in silence, Rainer deep in thought. Eventually, he saw her shiver and hailed a cab helping her into it. "Now, let's go see about putting some meat back on those bones."

They eventually arrived at one of the premier hotels in the city.

"This is it," he said, escorting her through the lobby.

Grace's heart flip-flopped. This was not just dinner, Rainer was up to something. She tried to dig her feet into the carpet, but the bottoms of her shoes were too slick and she just started to slide.

"We'll dance eventually Grace, but not right now."

"Rainer!" she hissed as he pulled her through the door of the ballroom. He didn't lose momentum as he headed right for a table the held all of the Stevenses, Bryce included.

Grace gave a little whimper as she saw Bryce. He was leaning over talking to his father and he hadn't notice her. She couldn't do this again. Three times in a week was too much.

"Where is our tough little Grace? She's in there somewhere, I know it."

Her eyes were glued to Bryce. He was so handsome. He looked tired.

"Grace!" Cassie squealed, jumping up from the table.

The whole family turned to look at her, some with curiosity and others with warm smiles, but she only saw Bryce. There was a brief glimpse of surprise in his eyes then nothing.