Depression

Question
I have a friend(he's 17) who's suffering from depression.  He's been having it for some time now. Probably like 2 months. I never really knew people could get so sad that it leads to depression. I always saw it as something extreme that only happens to people on drugs or something. I want to help him but I barely even know anything on depression except some googled facts. Can you please tell me more about it and some advice that would help him. Thx.

Answer
Just incase anyone didn't know, depression is actually very serious and not a joke. It's okay to be sad or even feel down for a few days but when it becomes so overwhelming that you can't handle it and you begin to withdraw from everyone and the society, then you have depression.

What really is depression?
Depression is a mental health disorder, a psychiatric condition. Specifically, it is a mood disorder characterized by persistently low mood in which there is a feeling of sadness and loss of interest.
         Depression is a real illness that impacts the brain. Anyone suffering from depression will tell you, it's not imaginary or “all in your head.”Depression is more than just feeling “down.” It is a serious illness caused by changes in brain chemistry.

Symptoms
1.Your friend doesn’t want to do the things you guys used to love to do.Not just because he's tired or not interested. For this to be a sign you have to have noticed his mood changes and even the way he rejects the idea of socializing.

2.Your friend starts using alcohol or drugs or hanging with a bad crowd. It's just like good girl turn bad. You would notice that the person rather than hanging out with you, he'll rather blend in with a bad crowd.
         The use of alcohol or drugs is just a way to make them feel disconnected from themselves and what is causing the depression. They are extremely sad and don't even really care of the real world. To them it's another way to escape.

3. Your friend stops going to classes and afterschool activities. Well this is obvious. He's not concerned about school anymore. It's the least of his problems. If he has joined a bad crowd then skipping classes becomes a norm or even a virtue.

4. Your friend talks about being bad, ugly, stupid, or worthless. When you are depressed all you see is sadness. All the good in the world has disappeared or vanished. It's a mental disorder so don't criticize them. They just need professional help.
         When you notice that someone who used to ve so cheerful and confident, starts being a downer and sadist then it's a high chance they are depressed.

5.Your friend starts talking about death or suicide. To them this is the ultimate escape, the way that ends it forever. The person has seen no good in living anymore. This is a very common symptom and if you have a friend that begins to talk about killing himself, then inform his parents and look for medical help immediately. You could be the difference between celebrating a new improved phase in his life or arranging and attending a burial.

How to help your depressed friend.
1.Get your friend to talk to you. Starting a conversation about depression can be daunting, but you can say something simple: "You seem like you are really down, and not yourself. I really want to help you. Is there anything I can do?"

2. Know that your friend doesn’t expect you to have the answers. Your friend probably just needs someone to listen and be supportive. By listening and responding in a non-judgmental and reassuring manner, you are helping in a major way.

3. Encourage your friend to get help. Urge your depressed friend to talk to a parent, teacher, or counselor. It might be scary for your friend to admit to an authority figure that there is a problem. Having you there might help, so offer to go along for support.

4. Stick with your friend through the hard times. Depression can make people do and say things that are hurtful or strange. But your friend is going through a very difficult time, so try not to take it personally. Once your friend gets help, he or she will go back to being the person you know and love. In the meantime, make sure you have other friends or family taking care of you. Your feelings are important and need to be respected, too.

5. Speak up if your friend is suicidal. If your friend is joking or talking about suicide, giving possessions away, or saying goodbye, tell a trusted adult immediately. Your only responsibility at this point is to get your friend help, and get it fast. Even if you promised not to tell, your friend needs your help. It’s better to have a friend who is temporarily angry at you than one who is no longer alive.

A/N.
Hey,

Hope this helped answer any questions.

Plz note I personally left out some information abouf what caused his depression and other stuff. I was asked not to put that for public view.

If anyone has more advice plz comment it.

Pm me more questions.

Vote and comment

Rainbows and gummy brars♡☆