Year 1: Peanut Butter

--a/n-- this book will go in yearly ish intervals maybe skipping a few years here and there, and maybe having a few in the same year, but I thought I'd tell you so you don't get confuzzled. This one is only a little while (like 1 and a half months) later, though. Anywho, carry on.

"Happy birthday dear Dean! Happy birthday to you!" Everyone sang as Dean blew out the candles on his birthday cake. Cas just smiled at the boy. He and Dean had become great friends, and he even got Lucifer to come play with him and Dean. Cas wished his brother would be there more, but Lucifer was the jealous type, and he wanted Cas all to himself. So, being the kind soul that Cas is, when he'd come back from a play date with Dean, he'd make it a point, no matter how tired he was, to play with his brother.

Cas still had his cast. He was getting it off tomorrow, and he almost didn't want to. Many signatures littered the thing, but the one that stood out the most was the big, bold, messy letters that spelled out ASTRO. The nickname suited him, and it stuck to Dean like a leach. Today was Dean's fifth birthday, and Cas would not miss it under any circumstances.

Still, there was one minor setback.

Cas was probably the shyest boy on the planet, and Dean had a bunch of friends.

So, though he was smiling widely at Dean, Castiel sat a few feet away from the crowd with Lucifer sitting next to him.

When Dean waved him over, Castiel shook his head. His smile dropped.  A lot of people were there, and he was petrified to go anywhere near any of them besides his family or Dean. Cas just silently watched as Dean opened presents. He noticed that the blonde boy did not open Castiel's until it was the last one on the table, and he felt he did something wrong.

Was it the packaging? Did I use the wrong wrapping paper? Did I mess up his present? Oh, God, I messed up his present!

It was quite the opposite, actually. The smile on Dean's face said it all as he picked up the medium box. It was wrapped in blue, metallic wrapping paper, something that Cas felt suit the situation. Dean could tell it was his friend's, because of the look in his face, and how thoughtful the packaging was. When he tore into it, his face lit up, and before anyone even knew what Cas had gotten him, he sprang up and darted around the table to hug the boy. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" Dean smiled.

If he was being honest, Cas thought the gift was a bit small. He had gotten Dean a moon shaped night light, but it was battery powered so you could hang it on your wall. It reminded Cas of Dean, and he had been saving it for his birthday. Cas thought the boy would be so disappointed in his cliché choice of a gift. "I am glad you like it, Dean," he whispered, reluctantly hugging Dean back.

"Castiel saw it and thought of you," Lucifer explained next to them.

"Thanks, Cas." Dean stood up. He tiptoed to Lucifer and hugged him, too. "You two are great."

Cas smiled, watching as all the other kids, including Dean began to run and play. Cas still sat and watched. He didn't want to go back on that playscape. It was fun, but Cas didn't want to put in the effort to come up with a plan to not use his arm. So, he just sat with Lucifer, messing with a few toy cars.

"Why do you like Dean so much?"

"Hm?"

"Why Dean? He's just like any other boy," Luci sighs. "Why do you choose him?"

"He's... Different," the little boy pouts, "Dean is so nice, and he just makes me feel like I have a friend, other than my brothers."

Lucifer nodded, biting his lip. The 8-year-old boy was the rebellious kind, with short blonde hair, and dark eyes. He was Cas's role model, and even then, Cas could admit, he could have picked a better person for the job, but they were close. Closer than most siblings.

"Hey, guys," a voice chirped. Cas looked up to see Dean holding two slices of cake. He handed one to each of them. "Can I please hang out with you two? They're so boring." He looks to the playground where all of the other kids are playing hide and seek.

"Uhm, of course," Cas smiled.

--

After the party, Cas's mom took him and Lucifer home. Michael was taking care of Gabe. Cas let out a sigh. He only came home so he could grab Freddy... And his leaf. He was going to Dean's house. His friend had invited him over, and Cas couldn't refuse when he mentioned ice cream. He loaded a bag full of necessities like his leaf, Freddy, and his stuffed fish named George. He stuffed them all in his bag. Everything but his leaf. It would crumble, and Cas would be sad.

It is my leaf. My leaf cannot be hurt.

Cas, under supervision from his mother, looked both ways, and ran across the street, making sure he didn't drop his leaf. "Have fun, sweetie!" His mother waves to him, and Cas smiles. He runs in the door, where Mary is holding it open for him. She waves at Holly, and they smile at each other.

"Our moms are great friends," Dean taps Cas's shoulder, making him spin around. His face is covered in peanut butter, and his eyes glint with excitement.

"Dean," his mother sighed, grabbing a paper towel. "Ask me for the peanut butter, sweetie. I'll make you a sandwich."

"But why would you put it in between two slices of bread? It's so perfect on it's own!" Dean pouted as she wiped his face. He squirmed away. "Leave the peanut butter alone, mom!"

"Dean, no."

Cas couldn't help but laugh. He hadn't done that in a while. The feeling was almost strange. How could such an odd, abnormal sound come from such a normal mouth. Humans had the capability of pushing air from their lungs, out their mouths, and above all, make a noise? A laugh? It was a function that the little boy could not quite understand.

"No way!" Dean squeaked, his eyes back on Cas. "You still have Freddy!" He looked up at Castiel with the happiest eyes ever. "I didn't think you'd keep him!"

"Of course I would keep him, Dean," Cas returns his grin. "You are my friend, and Fresdy is so cool!"

Dean pulled Cas into a hug for the second time that day. He hugged so tight that he was afraid that Dean may crush his leaf. Nonetheless, Cas hugged back with a smile. "You are a great friend, Castiel." Dean cheered.

"You, too,  Astro," Cas smiled.

Dean glanced behind Cas, a shadow of fear crossing his eyes, but he kept his smile on. He jumped up, grabbing the jar of peanut butter from the counter. He held it close to him, looking behind Cas again, and drawing his eyebrows together.

Before Cas could question him, Dean held up the jar with a devious smile and said, "Let's go to my room."

--a/n--

Well look who is inspired.

This story is really fun to write tbh

Now I am listening to Let Them In by PVRIS wait now it's white noise. AYE I MADE A DESTIEL EDIT WITH WHITE NOISE!

Okay I'll shut up but pls comment.

K thanks

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods

-Emily aka Foblvr