Year 4: Fireworks

Castiel picked at the scab on his knee, finding no other use for his time. Lucifer was at a friend's house, and Dean was not able to hang out with Castiel. Not when his father was home. Well, just his father. Mr. Winchester was not keen on Castiel spending every breathing moment with Dean, and he sure wasn't happy with how happy Dean seemed to be with Castiel. You're a tough kid, Dean. He weighs you down. He'd say. Castiel would never let Dean know that he had heard his father's disgusted words, because, frankly, sometimes Castiel believed him. Still, when he got stuck in a rut, Dean would always pull Cas out. That's the reason they bond so well.

Now, John sits alone in the living room, Dean behind him. Their eyes are glued to the television, and the only reason Castiel knows that is because of the window that exposes them to Castiel's view. He watches intently for any change. There is no movement besides Dean running to the fridge to get his father another beer. Castiel cringes at the bottle. He wasn't allowed to even touch it, let alone hand it out like it was some sort of disease.

"Hey, Castiel, you okay there?" Michael knocked on the door, making him jump. His eldest brother was 19, now, and Castiel never was that close to him. Michael was a dashing young man, with dark hair and grey eyes. They looked tired now. His face was perfectly proportioned, to look as if he could be a super model. Castiel was jealous of his brother's looks. He had gotten the scraps from the factory, to say the least. In his eyes, his hair was always disheveled, something that he heard Michael call, 'sex hair,' and he didn't like the name. Castiel found his eyes quite nice, but the sockets were always sunken in, and he never looked like he had gotten enough to eat. He had an awkward fashion sense, and his skin was to splotchy for his liking. Just a shade darker, and the redness wouldn't really show. Not to mention his upper lip. It gave him an underbite, which a lot of people would notice.

Michael was visiting from college for their Independence Day. It was July 2nd when he arrived, and it'll be July 5th when he leaves. Castiel thinks about how he won't get to see his brother much, anymore, but he shakes it out of his head. Tonight was the night of happiness and love and, best of all, fireworks.

Castiel turned away from his brother, his blue eyes trained on the window of Dean's home, again. Castiel was bored, to say the least. He stared out the window again, staring at John Winchester, and the way that he looked at Dean. John never looked at Dean like that when Mary was around. It was odd. There was some sort of resentment. Not hatred, just a very apparent disapproval. Cas could see it in Dean, too. Dean was staring at the TV screen with tired eyes, and a plastic smile. Castiel didn't like that smile. It was that smile that Dean threw on whenever he had studied so hard for a test only to find out he had a 73. Dean would just smack on that smile and say, "At least I passed."

"Dean's dad is mean." Castiel crossed his arms, staring out the window, still. He never gives Michael a second glance.

"Is that all?"

"Dean is sad. Dean is never sad. Not when I'm there. Dean looks sad. Michael, I don't like it!" Castiel squeaks, leaning forward a bit more. He gets Michael's attention just in time to see John call Dean over, keeping the same expression. He says something to Dean, and Dean nods. He runs to the fridge and brings his father another beer. Cas cringes. He wasn't allowed to even touch a bottle of beer, let alone carry one.

But what really bothered Cas, and Michael, is what happened next.

Dean handed it to him, but his smile dropped. John frowned. He drew his eyebrows together and whacked Dean on the back of the head with his empty bottle.

Deans smile immediately found its way back to his face as he picked up the empty bottle and tossed it into the trash can. He held the back of his head, soon going out of the frame of the window.