Year 9: The Balloon Rule

3:42.

That was the current time, and Castiel was sitting in his science class with eight minutes left of this boring video they were watching. Castiel never understood science. He thought it was cool and all, but how could mankind figure all of this out? How could mankind possibly figure out how old a grain of sand is, or how long the sun had been burning bright in the sky. That was a kind of thought that Castiel couldn't fathom.

Another thought that he couldn't fathom was that in less than ten minutes, Castiel would be voluntarily going to a school dance voluntarily. Castiel would be walking into a dance to actually dance. As anyone can tell, Castiel is really, really bad at this. He can't tell if he's excited or anxious, and neither of those feel the slightest bit of good to Castiel. The feeling was indescribable. His heart pounded and he felt a wave of some sort crash over him. It was annoying, to say the least. He was really tired of waiting.

"Alright, guys. Time to pack up," his teacher called, making Cas shove his history notebook in his bag. He had nothing very big, and he was always quite organized, so Cas was done right as the bell rang.

And he took off like a racehorse.

Castiel had actually bothered to get slightly dressed up. He wore a suit, a blue tie, and a pair of black boots. Lucifer had lent him the shoes, and he had to admit, they were quite comfortable. They were soft on the bottom, and provided support for his feet. He almost didn't want to give them back to his brother.

"Castiel!" He heard a familiar voice, and turned around to seeDean standing there. "Let's get to the front of theming so we can get in sooner.

Ehhhh, no.

"Okay," Castiel smiled, looking at Dean happily.

What Castiel failed to notice is that Dean had known what he felt for his friend for about five years, now, and the feeling was so satisfying to him. Dean looked at that messy haired, blue eyed beauty and thought almost the same thing as he did when he looked at that blue Impala. Except he wanted to change that color. He thought about that car. He said, "I'm gonna have that car one day." Well now, he was staring at Cas, thinking, "I'm gonna have that boy one day."

But Cas didn't know that. Cas didn't know a thing about Dean when it came to that. He assumed that Dean was this cute, heterosexual guy who thought of Cas as nothing but his best friend.

You're so wrong, Castiel.

Dean walked in, almost treated like royalty. He held his head high, a smile on his face, and the best part is, his arm was around Cas' shoulders in an attempt to say, This is mine, and only mine. If you try to steal my possession, I will not hesitate to end you.

Castiel was elated, but also afraid.

If Castiel were to list off all of his fears, a school dance would check off every single thing and then some. Cas doesn't think he can dance (yet he's the only guy in dance class because every other guy not in athletics or PE were in ballet folklorico), he doesn't like crowds or loud music, and he hates talking to anyone but Dean and Alfie. But Dean was happy, so he was too.

"Alright, anyone with dates out there, remember the balloon rule." The principal practically yelled into the mic. "Besides that, stay safe and have fun."

The balloon rule was so stupid.

Castiel couldn't imagine a world without the balloon rule, though. It was where, in slow dances, you must pick up a balloon and put it in between you and your partner to ensure a safe distance.

"Cas," Dean cooed. "Come and dance with me."

Castiel hadn't realized he was standing on the sidelines until Dean made that statement. He certainly didn't realize that it had been twenty minutes as well. "Uhm, Dean..."