Year 18: Familiar

Castiel peered through the window of his office. He had finally gotten his own workplace, and it was all he could have asked for. It's baby blue walls were calm, and the room was so spacious, sometimes Castiel would play games with his younger patients. He was a good man. A good, married man, with a job, and a past that not even he would think about anymore. The most vivid memories in his mind were that happiness that he felt when he kissed Dean at their wedding, and the day they met in that playground. They were the happiest days of his life, looking back on it. He was married to his best friend. It was perfect. How many times was gonna say that? It was flat out, all around, can't-beat-that-with-a-stick, perfect.

Castiel had found a new way to do his job. He would take Scarlett to work with him, and a lot of people seemed to take comfort in her presence. She was great at her job, and sometimes she would get a little treat for doing so. She was a calm, happy dog. Cas was a calm, happy man.

"So, then Josh turns to Leo and says, "I don't get why you like her so much. While I'm standing right there!" Millie whines. She was doing a lot better than when she first came in. Granted, it's been 3 years andCas was like an older brother to the girl. She loved coming and seeing him. He'd lists to anything she said, and she knew she could count on him. That was how it worked between the two. "Now I'm afraid he's gonna break up with me because Josh doesn't like me.

Oh, God this sounds familiar.

"You know, when I was in middle school, I was beat up because the quarterback of the A team football team had a crush on me." Cas tried to reason. "He didn't care that they hated me. He loved me more than he loved the game. He nearly quit the team for me, and I ended up marrying the man."

"I don't understand." She looked at him with a smile, but also pleading eyes, begging for instructions on how she could fix her teenager problems. It made Cas smile a little. "How does this tie in?"

"If he truly loves you, he won't care about what his friends think. He will keep you, and if he does break up with you, he isn't worth your time," Castiel simply explained. "If you're so worried about the issue, I'm thinking you don't trust him that much." Cas stared at her blankly, giving her a few moments of silence. "If you don't trust him, then why are you with him?"

"I... I don't know." Millie glanced at Scarlett, blowing out a puff of air.

"That's your answer right there. Either learn to trust him enough to know that he wouldn't trade anything for you, or just let it happen, and see where it goes. If he doesn't act on his friends opinions, that should build your trust, right there, but if you are ever unhappy, I want you to dump him, 'kay?"

"I'll just... See what happens, I guess."

"Tell me how it goes, then." Castiel pulled his sleeves up, smiling at the tiny bit of his tattoo peeking out.

"Now it's your turn to tell me what's going on in your life." Millie stroked Scarlett's head, flipping her braid over her shoulder. "I mean, I'm curious."

"Nothing much, really. It's turned into the normal, apple pie life. Dean's on meds, now, so he doesn't get his episodes quite as much, which, in all honesty, makes me really happy. I love him and I hate to see him suffer through those." Castiel sighed, pulling his sleeve down. "Uh, that's all, really. I got a new tattoo." Castiel looked at her, laughing. "Okay, that's all I'm spilling. It's unprofessional."

"What is the tattoo, though?" She stood up, earning a soft bark from Scarlett.

Cas sighed. "I got a wing covering one side of my back. That's pretty much it." He stood up as well, pulling on his coat. "Well, Millie, until next time. Let me know how things with Leo turn out, okay?"

"I will," she sighed, slinging her backpack over her shoulder. "See you next week?"

"Looking forward to it."

He watched as she left, blowing out a sigh of relief as his work day was over. Castiel was exhausted. His limbs ached, and his eyes drooped. It was almost unreal how different it seemed. Dean was always there, but Castiel was beginning to slump back into his old depression. It was the worst feeling in the world when you have to keep someone else a love water but you can't stop yourself from drowning. Dean had been noticing it, too, and Castiel swore he was fine. It was only today, when he felt no hunger, and no thirst, that he began to believe that there may be something wrong. He was a freaking therapist. He should know what's up with himself. He should be able to keep up with his own emotions.

Scarlett stood, pushing her face into his leg. She always did this when he was upset. He's been so thankful for this dog over the past 8 years, and though her whiskers are beginning to droop, and her face is beginning to turn gray, Scarlett does her job well, for Cas and for Dean. "Hey, baby girl," Castiel patted her head, assuring her that everything was okay. "I'm good, sweetie." He stood up from his desk, Scarlett following with almost a doggy smile on her face. He climbed into his car, which was no where near as beautiful as Dean's. It was a very unattractive shade of gold, and it sat still in the parking lot long enough to bake Castiel like a potato when he stepped into it. He burned his hand on the seatbelt, which was quite annoying, considering the weather has been doing this for around a week now.

"Alright, Scar, let's go home."

But Cas didn't make it home right away.

--a/n--

HBD TO ME

YES IM 14 NOW BITCHES

God I'm so tired and it's only my birthday for like ten more minutes (I was born 9/20 or 20/9 for all you English folks or anywhere in the UK
Judge me I suck at things like that so I'm sorry if I just mutilated your date system.

This is short but I figured I'd split it into two for 3 reasons

1) I love torturing you guys with cliffhangers
2) I had to update I my birthday come on
3) I'm making up for that lost year I had in college

My brothers girlfriend got me Katy Perry lipstick God bless

Oi I left a photo of me now in the attachment in case you wanna see what your author looks like

I love you my Carcrashovercastyoungbloods
-Emily aka Foblvr