When Clary Fairchild Arrives at the Insitute

Leah frankly was closer to Alec than to Jace; he was the first one to know about her sensitivity to Oskino, and she was the first one who came to know of Alec's sexual orientation and his fancy for Jace, and they both had respected each other's secrets ever since.

So naturally, when Clary arrived in the Institute (really, 'arrived' would be a very sophisticated word; it was more like 'Jace arrived with the frail, blood-soaked girl whom they had seen the other day in Pandemonium), Leah Ravenscar let herself into an irrational hatred towards her.

Her way of showing it was usually mocking Clary about . . . .practically every single thing on earth, and most of all about being involved with Jace and Simon.

And to Leah's evil pleasure, Clary couldn't even fight her back because talented as Leah was in warfare, she also outwitted Clary in her words.

"Hodge!" Leah had run down to the library one day, when Clary and Jace were outside the institute, either running behind Clary's rather stupid mundane friend or spying around Lucian Graymark's house.

She slid down the delicate iron railing of the spiral stairs on her butt, and landed gracefully on the floor to walk ahead to where Hodge was seated by the fireplace with his parrot on his shoulder and a thick book on his lap.

"Hello Leah. Anything important you've come to tell me about?" Hodge asked calmly.

"Obviously. Well, if you've noticed I usually don't come around to ask how you're doing and then walk away." Leah answered and then gracefully took her seat atop the table. "It's about that red thing. I may know . . .something about her background."

Hodge squinted for a moment in confusion, and then said "You mean Clary?"

"Of course. She's the only red thing around." Leah replied. "About her, I think she's Clary Fairchild."

Hodge raised his eyebrow. "Jocelyn Fairchild?"

"Yes!"

"Who do you presume is her father, then?"

"I don't know; you were there during the uprising. Was Jocelyn Morgenstern pregnant?"

"I . . .I never seriously thought about it - the uprising is something I do not like to think about, but now that you've put it to me, she might've been pregnant." Hodge said, deep in thought.

"Then, her father must be Valentine." Leah whispered.

"Or" Hodge suggested almost mischievously. "It could be Lucian Graymark. Rumours had it that Jocelyn was getting increasingly suspicious and uncomfortable around her own husband, and besides, it was the wife and the ex-parabatai who started the revolt."

"Seriously, Hodge?" Leah smirked. "You think they were involved?"

"Don't believe me; everyone in the circle knew about what Lucian felt for Jocelyn - well, except for Jocelyn herself."

"I really should've gone with the red-head today, and had a look at some of her mom's friends. They might . . .have a resemblance with some shadowhunters we presumed had died during the uprising."

"But for now, we have one fact open to us - that Clary's mother is Jocelyn Morgenstern, and the girl herself is Clarissa Morgenstern."

"There was another child, right?" Leah now seemed to referring things from her intuitive sense. "Jocelyn and Valentine had another child."

"The boy died during the uprising." Hodge said, trying to keep his face devoid of emotion.

"No......" Leah's eyebrows were crinkled, as she shut her eyes in thought and concentration. "There . . .is a child who's . . . Valentine's creation."

Hodge mentally flinched at the word 'creation'; while Leah Ravenscar might like to keep a low profile in front of the Clave, Hodge was one person who saw just how different Leah was from any other shadowhunter of her age.

Of course he didn't tell anybody, but . . . .it just did not slip past him how much Leah was indeed the example of the "boy" Valentine Morgenstern had planned to create. 

It was like she knew so much more (Hodge wondered if Leah was too involved with the Downworlder gossips or with people such as Johnny Rook who liked to sell information for money); she fought so better that others; she hardly ever got sick or injured; and she had a grace and elegance (one that even made Isabelle Lightwood look sloppy)  . . . .Hodge only saw those kinds of warrior skills once more in his life - in baby Sebastian Morgenstern.

"Anyway" Leah continued. "I should probably let everyone know that if Clary is indeed Valentine's daughter, she is dangerous and should be kept away from."

"Leah!" Hodge said scoldingly.

"Sure, sure, I'll let her know." Leah laughed, and then spun off and out of the library.

***

"Honestly, how long do you take to get ready?" Leah commented rudely, as Clary and Jace entered the Institute elevator. "And that too, in this drab." Leah pointedly looked at Clary's too-big tank top and leather jacket (Isabelle's clothes).

"Well, it's not my fault that Isabelle's clothes are so big on me." Clary gave her a hard glare.

"Mm, personally I feel Isabelle's got a nice taste in fashion, but in order to look good in her clothes, you really need to have a rounder chest, maybe be a little tall and get some muscles."

"Excuse me, who are you to make such obnoxious comments about my physique?"

"Obnoxious comments? I prefer positive criticism. It's a necessity anyway if you're planning on becoming a shadowhunter - or if you're looking forward to hooking up with Jace."

"What?!" Clary cried, skeptically.

"Ladies, calm down. It's no big surprise anyway; thousands of women queue up to hook up with me." Ah, typical Jace, speaking for the first time to shower praises on himself.

"Well, I'm not one of them. Currently I just need you to take me to the Silent Brothers' den and help me retain my memories." Clary shouted, and as the lift door opened creakily, she walked out furiously.

"It's called the Silent City - or the City of Bones, if you like it ; the Brothers don't live in a den." Leah added.

They reached the Silent City after a long journey on some ridiculous medieval carriage where Leah recited Annabel Lee to herself (it had just been another intuitional song that had been bugging her), and Clary exclaimed about how awesome it was to fly over the mundane cars.

Clary seemed a little scared to go down the corridors made up of bones and cremated masses, and Leah only helped in frightening her even more when she plucked out an ancient fibula from the railing and tossed it at Clary.

"Leah! You shouldn't be plucking bones from the Silent City." Jace warned. "And I swear to god, you two fight like women."

"What a ridiculous comparison, Jace." Leah said dryly.

They entered into the main 'ceremonial hall', where clary was supposed to go and stand in the middle while the Brothers searched inside her head. A tall Silent Brother with two burning runes on each cheek, stood firmly at the doorway, holding a staff.

"Hello, Brother Zachariah." Leah greeted.

Good morning, Leah, he spoke into her head, leaving the trail of undeniable affection.