To the Los Angeles Institute

This chapter - and the next one - are going to be set in Los Angeles, with the Blackthorns and the Carstairs. Do not worry! I am not spoiling anything about Lady Midnight; this story is only set with the particular characters of Lady Midnight. If you've not read Lady Midnight, then it's okay. You're qualified enough to read it.
As for those who HAVE read Lady Midnight, it might be a little weird reading about the same characters in the presence of Andrew Blackthorn, Mark Blackthorn (before he was traumatised by the faeries), Helen Blackthorn, John Carstairs and Cordelia Carstairs. But trust me, you'll enjoy it regardless.

Also, a shoutout/thanks to Queenofdaworld101 who somehow is always the first reader and the first one to vote on my chapters. Thank you so much for keeping in track with my book. 💋 (PS: I'll be so insulted if she isn't the first one to read this chapter). But anyways, thanks girl!

Magnus Bane had been called to the Institute with very kind requests of opening up portals for them to reach their desired destinations. The Lightwoods, Jace and Clary were supposed to go to Alicante, where Clary was expecting to find the warlock Ragnor Fell (who was supposed to know a way to bring Jocelyn back to normal) and the Lightwoods would be lodging in the Penhallow manor.

Meanwhile, Leah was going to the LA Institute to associate herself with Andrew Blackthorn, his children and of course, her own half-sister Emma Carstairs; Emma had been all but begging Leah to come visit them since ages, and well, it looked like her time had come to finally oblige to Emma's requests.

"There you go." Magnus said, opening the portal to the LA Institute garden.

"Thank you Magnus." Leah smiled, turned back to wave one last time at her siblings, and then stepped through the portal.

Well, one thing, unlike the New York Institute, the Los Angeles one had a pretty nice, well-maintained garden, even though it was small in size. A baby Octavian was sitting on the grass and trying to gather the mud in his fingers. On Leah's arrival, he gave a big grin of surprise and amusement.

A scream was heard from behind, and a chubby eight-year old Drusilla Blackthorn came running at Leah, to protect her brother Tavvy from any danger.

"Hey, Drusilla." Leah greeted in a friendly manner, as she took Tavvy in her arms. "I see you haven't recognised me."

Octavian put his baby palm on Leah's cheek, and the girl pecked it affectionately. "Your brother seems to have recognised me." Leah mused.

"Leah Ravenscar." A head peeked in from the sliding doors nearby, and Leah waved her fingers as a greeting, and chirped "Hi, Mr. Blackthorn!"

"Oh. Leah. Emma talks about you." Drusilla said, backing up.

"Please, do us the privilege of coming in." Andrew Blackthorn said, and Leah flashed a dazzling smile and walked inside, Tavvy still in her arms.

"You want to carry him?" She offered Dru, and the girl gladly took him in his arms, but Tavvy was not in a mood to stay enclosed in people's arms, so he slipped onto the floor and commenced into a sluggish toddler's walk.

"Uh, sorry, I'm not dressed very well," Andrew said awkwardly, trying to hide his dark blue bathrobe and childish frog slippers. "We weren't really informed of your visit."

"Oh, Mr. Blackthorn, you really do not need to make any preparations for my visit. I'd like you to be yourselves when I'm around."

"Tavvy, no! You will hurt yourself if you try to climb the dressing table!" Drusilla scolded in the background.