The LA Institute Raid

Jace, Isabelle, Alec and Leah were supposed to reside in the Lightwood's manor during their stay in Idris, while Jocelyn and Luke forced Clary to stay in Amatis's house (20% to keep her safe and well-guarded, and 80% to ensure that she didn't spend the nights with Jace).

Her first night in Alicante, Leah slept fitfully - both in the figurative and literal sense. Blood, storms, splinters and broken furniture, twisted metal, pouring rain over burning houses, howls and fangs, torturous shrieks, and lightning filled her vision.

She kept tossing and turning, her skull pulsing painfully and her body vibrating violently. At some point, Leah rolled onto the floor, where she banged her head drunkenly against the wooden boards of the floor and gasped and wailed horribly.

By the end of the night, there was a pool of vomit on the bedroom floor, and Leah was shaking violently in the middle of the mess, blood trickling down her nose, with her forehead clasped in between her hands.

Maryse came at around 2 in the morning and found the girl in this state. Immediately switching to her mother mode, she picked Leah up from the floor, cleaned her gently, changed her into a tank top and loose pajamas, cleared the blood and vomit, and tucked Leah in bed.

Very unfortunately Leah was still sick in the morning, rolling and groaning around the bed, often falling on the floor with a thud (after which either Alec or Jace would have to pick up the weak thing and put her back on her bed).

At any case, Leah couldn't attend the morning Clave meeting - where everyone else was going to. She went down to the kitchen to get some water once she was feeling slightly better, and it was there that she learnt that the Los Angeles Institute had been raided, Mark Blackthorn had been taken away, Andrew Blackthorn had been Turned, John and Cordelia Carstairs had been killed and the children have somehow miraculously survived - and were currently being interviewed under the Mortal Sword.

Without a second's delay, Leah blindly ran off to the Gard, barely remembering to even change out of her pajamas, arrange her drab hair nicely or wear proper shoes.

She was in time to see Clary and Jace smile a farewell to Emma Carstairs, and from the end of the corridor made a beeline for the twelve-year old girl, shouting "Emmaaaaaaaa!!!!", finally wrapping her half-sister in a tight embrace - much to Emma's embarrassment.

"Oh my god! Emma! I'm so sorry, I couldn't attend your Mortal Sword session! I got really sick last night! In fact..." Leah paused to take a much-needed breath, and then continued in a whisper. "Hang on, what were you doing with Clary Ugly-Child?"

"Ugly-Child?" Emma laughed, despite the adrenalin-induced temper she had been in moments ago. "She's Fairchild, and she's pretty much a celebrity, so..... I guess it's a privilege talking to her." Emma danced around shyly.

"Clary Freckled-Child - a celebrity? What am I then?" Leah gasped, offended.

"Less than a celebrity." Emma suggested.

"I'm offended, Emma Carstairs. Expected better of you!" Leah pouted. "And were you talking to Jace too because he's a celebrity?" Emma blushed, and Leah smirked in response "Oh, no. I see there's more to it than that, eh?" She cried out teasingly. "Someone today seems to be totally in love."

"Shut up!" Emma hissed, madly blushing. "I'm pretty sure he heard every single word you said right now!"

"That's great, isn't it? Imagine, he might ask you out. Don't you worry, girl. He's like my brother. And you're also in luck, for I seem to hate Clary too! Know what that means?" Leah wagged her eyebrows naughtily. "And then, there are so many different ways through which I can make you burn green with envy. Did you know, just today morning, he carried me to bed - the full romance film way, one hand on my back, one under my thigh and my head against his chest."

"Really?" Emma gasped, unable to veil her excitement.

"Yeah, well, when I rolled over the bed and fell onto the floor and was too sick and too lazy to get up." Leah explained, and Emma laughed. "You could do the same too; just pretend to faint, and -"

"I am very fine, Leah! I do not need Jace Lightwood carrying me to bed!" Emma cried.

"He's a Herondale, duh!" Leah protested. "In fact, I think there's some tradition that the Herondales owe the Carstairs or the Carstairs owe the Herondales; I don't remember which way. But you can definitely take advantage of this debt."

"I am so grateful for all your lovely contribution in getting me closer to Jace Lightwood slash Herondale. Now, I believe I can finally live a life." Emma declared dryly.

"Oh, trust me, you haven't lived a life if haven't kissed Jace Herondale - or so goes the saying. How's Julian progressing with Isabelle Lightwood? Tell him, I have a hinting suspicion she is dating a vampire..."

Leah stopped, seeing that Emma's face had darkened by this point of the time. "Okay, screw Jace. What's happened to Julian?" She asked, seeming worried.

"They put him under the Mortal Sword." Emma's face changed into bitter passion and almost revenge. "I... I can't believe they did that. He's only a kid, and Jules is very honest. He rarely ever lies! How could they not trust him? What did the Clave think he'd lie about?"

Leah put her arm around her sister and let Emma place her head on her shoulder. "I remember, when you came to visit Los Angeles the last time and we went to the Shadow Market. You said that people in the Market sell some illegal things, and I suggested why not report it to the Clave. But you said that the Downworlders already seem to hate us so much, we should try to win their better sides. I remember your exact words; you said: You'll understand, Emma, when circumstances will force you to hate the Clave and to reach to Downworlders and gifted mundanes instead. Now, I think that time has come."

Leah didn't say anything. Emma continued flatly "Do you know what happened to my parents?"

"I will not beat about the bush on this matter. Your parents have been found dead in the ocean, with strange markings on their bodies. Their.....corpses could never be retrieved; they disintegrated after some time in the ocean itself." Leah replied.

Emma remained frozen like a statue for so long that Leah began to get suspicious that she had had a major epilepsy. Emma finally said, still white "What do you think those markings mean? And the fact that their bodies disintegrated? What do you think Sebastian Morgenstern is planning now? What could it mean, Leah?"

"It only means that your parents' death was not a handiwork of Sebastian Morgenstern." Leah mentally added: I would've known if it was.