Back in Idris

A/N: Whew. Chapter title. Some break from Edom. We were all getting a little homesick anyway. And we were definitely getting insane watching Leah lose all her sanity. So,
D.I.S.C.L.A.I.M.E.R : if you've read Lady Midnight, then . . . . .you can relate with some parts of the chapter. But if you haven't, then don't worry. I haven't given out any spoilers. Only tiny 'hints', which barely reveal anything. Also, forgive me. This chapter is a little shorter than the other chapters, but I promise the next chapter will be of .........normal size.
Also, yippppeeeeee!!!!! This is our 40th chapter published! (Does that even require a celebration? Duh. I'm stupid). So, continue reading.....
PS: have a look at the picture above
_____________________________________________________________

Emma dreamt of her parents being sliced into bits, their bodies being dumped inside saline water, a hand carving chalk markings on their anatomies, a pair of dark violet eyes flashing and some distant voice reciting a poem that vaguely sounded like:

It was many and many a year ago, in this kingdom by the sea
That there lived a maiden whom you may know by the name of Annabel Lee
And this maiden she lived without any thought, than to love and be loved by me.
She was a child and I was a child in this kingdom by the sea.
And we shared a love that was more than a love - me and by Annabel Lee . . . .

When Emma finally woke up, perspired and out of breath, she went to the bathroom, splashed water on her face, changed out of her sweat-drenched nightclothes and lay again on her bed with her eyes wide open.

Emma noticed something crunch underneath her head as she flung herself onto the bed, and she reached underneath her pillow to find a . . . .letter. She unfolded it suspiciously, wondering if it had been left here by the captivators of Mark or by Sebastian Morgenstern. Completely opposite to what she had been expecting, Emma realised that it was a letter from Leah:

Emma,
I know that you are going through a very, very tough phase in your life. Julian is too, but at least he has his siblings, he has you and he has the Penhallows. But you . . . . The Clave is deciding to send you to the Academy until you are a matured shadowhunter of 18, when you can start travelling to Institutes in different cities for studying and pursue your occupation. But, I know you do not want that. After all that has happened, you do not want to get separated from Julian - both, because he is your best friend and because he wont be able to manage the children by himself. If there is one way for you to stay together, it is to become parabatai. You might regret this decision later in your life, but it is a fate you are both destined to be, Emma. It's the only way, and the best way.
You feel your parents were not murdered by Sebastian Morgenstern. And I know for sure that they were not. I don't know who did it either, but it is connected to a missing book from the Los Angeles Institute library - a book that had always been there, but was stolen during the attack. These are the only 2 facts I know. The rest must be in Consul Jia Penhallow's office: your parents' death reports. If you want to get to the bottom of your parents' death, then you must steal those files.
Also, I wanted to tell you that right now, I am in Edom - literally in Edom. We are going to Sebastian's fort to kill him. I have Alec and Isabelle Lightwood, Jace Herondale, Clary Fairchild and Simon Lewis along with me. Wish me luck, sister.
Other than about your parents and my location and about becoming Parabatai with Julian, I also wanted you to know the truth about us. I don't just call you my sister because we are really close, or for fun. We really are sisters - by blood. I too belong to the Carstairs family; I am not a Ravenscar - not really. Don't worry. None of your parents had another daughter. I come from a different branch of Carstairs. John and Cordelia Carstairs were as family to me as they were to you. And you are my sister - I will always love you, Emma.
Stay close to Brother Zachariah. He also used to be a Carstairs. Just because your parents aren't here anymore doesn't mean that you don't have a family. We will be your family. Take care, Emma. After you read this letter, don't cry. You have to be strong now - stronger than the rest, even stronger than me, and I'm sure you will exceed my expectations.
With love - and even more love,
Leah Carstairs
PS: keep looking for opportunities to faint in front of Jace Herondale.

Emma couldn't help it; a stubborn tear slid down her cheek. The letter was just so sentimental - even Leah's post script joke. Their relationship had always been so casual, funny, laughing all the time, cracking jokes and behaving like kids.

The fact that they had actually been sisters all the time - and that Leah had now set out to Edom on a daring journey with her 5 friends - was . . . . Emma couldn't even find enough descriptive words to express her heart's emotions.

She ran to Julian's bedroom. "Jules! Jules!" She called. "Leah left this for me. They've left for Edom."

"I know." Julian's face was sad. "I got a letter too." He showed his to Emma.

"Jules. I think . . . , tell me, will you be my parabatai?"