Party At Magnus Bane's

Isabelle seemed to be sitting in a heap of silk, sash, jewels, lace, velvet, chiffon and sequins, and was digging out even more from her wardrobe. "How about this one?" She asked, holding out a red dress with a hundred skimpy straps.

"Weird." Said Leah.

"This?" She showed Leah a navy blue pencil dress.

"Uh . . . .no. Why don't you wear that one? It might look good on you." Leah suggested, pointing at a tuft of silvery gossamer. 

"This one?" Isabelle pulled out a short silver dress.

"Better." Approved Leah.

Isabelle started putting back all her other clothes into her wardrobe, and Clary appeared at the door. "Why do you care so much about a perfect outfit for a Downworlder party, by the way? We're only going in the hopes of unveiling some secrets about her." Leah questioned.

"It's a party regardless, and besides, I've heard that Downworlders are feisty partygoers. You can't attend the High Warlock of New York's party without wearing something utterly glamorous." Isabelle laughed.

"Well, someone should tell that to Alec. He looks like he's going to a rat's funeral." Clary commented.

"Well, someone should tell that to you." Leah returned back, eyeing Clary's plain blue shirt and jeans.

"That's what I've come here for, Leah." Clary replied drily.

"Expected." Leah smirked of evil victory. "Izzy, have you got some shrewd clothes for our guest?"

"Don't be so unkind, Leah. And yup, I do have something that I feel will look awesome on you." Isabelle handed Clary her black tank top, which the girl took and scrutinised in suspicion.

"It's so short - and tight."

"Well, someone really aught to teach you some dressing sense." Leah said scornfully.

Six partygoers - a deadly-looking girl with heels, clad in a silver dress, a small red-haired girl wearing a short black tank top/dress with high boots, a sweet-faced girl who wielded fatal grace and strength, wearing a strapless rose-gold dress, a gorgeous blonde boy with fifty hidden blades tucked in his pocket, a mundane geek wearing a Star Wars tee and ripped jeans and a shy, boring boy wearing a worn sweater - took the metro to Magnus Bane's apartment.

Entry, though, was immediately denied to them by the flamboyant warlock who dyed his hair roots in orange and wore some sexy glitter eyeliner.

"What? Shadowhunters? I realise that my parties are extraordinarily famous around here, but really, you people were not even invited."

"We have an invite." Jace showed him the invites.

"But I have authority, shadowhunters, and today my brain says that Chairman Meow should enjoy a night without having to deal with Nephilim -"

"Magnus Bane." Leah stepped forward, and stared at him meaningfully. Surely, he must know about Tessa and Brother Zachariah's illicit baby, even though he had never seen the young Miss Carstairs (Tessa and Magnus were practically warlock cousins). "I'm sure we've got some . . . .business tonight."

Magnus scrutinised her face in detail, and almost whispered her name. "Surely. I can't believe it. Ms . . . . ?"

"Leah Ravenscar." She replied promptly.

"Of course. Shadowhunters, I'll let you intrude my party - but only, because of Leah Ravenscar; we do have some business. Definitely." Magnus said, looking at Leah. "And because I guess I need to clear out things for Clary Fray. And additional credits for your admittance to the pretty boy."

"Thank you." Jace replied, running his fingers through his hair.

"What? I meant the one with blue eyes." Magnus scowled at Jace, and for a second everyone seemed to look at Alec as if noticing he was there for the first time.

Jace, Clary, Alec, Isabelle and Simon went over to entertain themselves with drinks and snacks (after Alec had given Leah a look as if to question what was going on between her and Magnus Bane).

Magnus meanwhile escorted Leah by the arm to his bedroom balcony. "Find yourself at home." He elegantly swept his arms around the thin air to magically produce warm Victorian chairs, a coffee table and a cup of steaming latte.

"I have never felt so much at home." Leah whispered, sipping the latte. "So, you do recognise me, Uncle Magnus?"

"You have Tessa's  eye colour; and you look much like James Carstairs too. The extraordinarily beautiful eyelashes, the slenderness, the cheekbones, the jawline, even the pale skin colour . . . .and yet you look much like Tessa too; I can practically see her face in yours." Magnus sounded dreamy.

"Whew, Magnus. And here I was thinking that you had only held affection for Will Herondale in your heart. You must have really checked out Jem in order to relate him with my physical features."

"I guess what you feel is a crush, was actually a sense of parental responsibility over Will Herondale. Tessa was like the little sister I could never have; and to her I was the big brother she had wanted but had lost. And somehow with my closeness to both of them, James Carstairs also became a part of my life; it was impossible to not come across him when you were so close to both Will and Tessa."

Leah smiled, picturizing the memories and the relationship her parents and her uncles had shared.

"Do you" Magnus asked softly. "Play the violin - or well, any instrument?"

"No." Leah replied, a little surprised at being asked so. "I can play the solfege on Jace's piano, but he acts silly and says that it spoils the tuning."

"Well, Jem had a special place for music in his heart; he was obsessed with his violin as much as Will was with demon pox." Magnus chuckled at the last part, and then asked Leah seriously again "So, how's Tessa? And Brother Zachariah?"

"I don't know; you tell." Leah shrugged. "I don't meet them very often, though I did have a few brief moments of salutations with father, when I had to accompany the horrid ginger girl to the Silent City the other day."

"Tessa said you had more demonic features than any of her offsprings. I . . . I wanted to let you know that if you need any kind of support - physical, medical, moral, parental, supernatural, I'm always there for you to consult." He sounded very sincere.

"Yeah. Saint Magnus's Home For Wayward Shadowhunters, huh?" Leah joked.

"Demons and any of their 'gifts' are usually always a nuisance to the human nature. However, I have learnt to use it for a good purpose. Will Herondale chose to demolish his demon-laid curse by his own belief and determination. James Herondale was one of the kindest, most sweetest Shadowhunters I had ever known, and he had demon blood in his veins too. Your father was addicted to a demonic drug and his death had been predicted to be about one hundred and thirty years before today; but he was pure at heart, and that made him survive even till today. I am very sure that with a strong heart and mind, you too can use the demonic hereditary for good purposes, Leah Carstairs."