XXI

*BTW this is my current favorite song and matches well to the story*

Madeline's POV

My arms fell to my sides but I tried not to jump to conclusions. I simply readied myself for anything horrible.

"Hello," the woman spoke again.

I raised my head and tried looking for something that could put me at ease or at least make me like her more than nature intended me to. She didn't do anything to me... and neither did Melissa. It was the green-eyed monster.

So then as I examined the woman I saw little creases barley forming around her eyes. She had golden earrings that were exposed when she tucked her hair behind her ears. That's when I knew that she most likely wasn't here for Nathan. She had a ring, she was a wife and possibly a happy one since she didn't try to hide it. Maybe a mother, either way I found things about her that made me like her more than I expected.

"Oh, I'm sorry." I was still nervous and anxious but she was looking for Nathan at his house so it must be important. "Mr. Lane?!"

Looking back I saw Nathan turn his head towards us. He was expressionless, like it wasn't a surprise or expected, like it just happened.

"Nathan you son of a bitch," the woman stormed right pass me at lightening speed. So she didn't like Nathan.

Closing the door I hurried after Samantha and Nathan. Once she got to the couch she placed both hands on each side of her hip while Nathan just sat looking at her and wiping his face.

She was ballsy, maybe because she was older than Nathan or just didn't care.

"Tell me how Melissa is pregnant with your child!"

"If, Samantha. If she is pregnant with my child," Nathan retorted.

What? Just before... He seemed to believe it was his... I'm so confused. Or maybe he seemed as if... never mind. I shouldn't get my hopes up.

Standing behind Samantha I watched the battle unravel.

"Don't play coy. You are a whore! A whore! Everyone just likes your money and how you look on the outside, but I know who you are, and Melissa knows. So tell me... How did you get my sister P-R-E-G-N-A-N-T?!"

Samantha was surely a mother, she must have had practice, even I started felling guilty for being a "friend" of Nathan's.

"I'm taking care of it," Nathan finally spoke as they glared at each other. It felt like worlds were colliding and I was caught in the cross fire.

"Ok. Let's step back for a moment," Samantha sighed and massaged her head, "You guys were not together then you sleep with her and now she is pregnant," she stopped. I could hear something build up in her voice, but I wasn't sure if it was grief or anger. "How," she looked down and sighed.

"It was a mistake-"

"Damn sure it was," Samantha scoffed.

"Umm," all of a sudden I began to speak on my own, "Samantha, right? I'm am-was, Mr. Lane's assistant so if you calm down I will make sure he talks to you on good terms."

"Yes, I'm so sorry it's just that," her teeth began to grind, "This bastard is having a child with my sister after breaking her heart."

"I'm sure there is a story there but why did you have go to this whole extent to ask him 'how'?"

"Because she doesn't want me to be the father," Nathan countered.

"Yes," she turned back to Nathan. "Melissa only told me yesterday so I had to come here."