XXV

Nathan's POV

At least a month had passed since the results and Melissa was beginning to show. She couldn't work anymore due to the pregnancy so she began staying home more often which led to my avoidance of the place I once called home. I still hadn't told my father of the news and only John knew... well among others.

John did me the favor of staying with Melissa while I went off to work so in a way John became a second father. When I found alone time with myself I began thinking of Maddie and what she must've been doing at that moment. I reluctantly admit that I fantasized about her and the things we could be doing together but I knew it was just a fantasy and never could be a reality. It reminded me of my teen years when I avoided young girls and focused on my future.

Ironically now in my twenties I acted like a sex crazed teen, but who is here to prove it, either way I acknowledge that I'm acting like the common 18 year old, acne prone teen.

On the days when I felt like giving up on Melissa I would take a few sleeping pills and rest up, and during my sleep I imagined a similar relationship with Madeline. It was uncontrollable but also not unwanted.

I wonder if I was in love or lustful, but what is the difference? Still... when thinking off love I pictured Madeline and when thinking of love, I still pictured Madeline. Thinking of this made me feel more like shit but life was just one mess of shit and some shit smelled more than others.

Besides that, my work became even more of an escape from her, and also helped my buisness incline farther up the chain.

People began hearing my name more down at Wall Street and even internationally. Keeping my personal life away from work and away from my father required me to take extra precautions. But it was a matter of time before he would read a stupid magazine with Melissa's face gloating about having a child. It was actually amazing that he didn't know but I prefer it that way because then he would care. Ignorance was bliss.

But when Melissa made headlines as a pregnant model of course my father learned everything which brings me to today. Melissa's much needed baby shower at one of my family's estates.

It was disturbing seeing all the babies and womb related decorations. The men had no idea what to do and the women gossiped constantly. Something that I detested, gossip, also one of Melissa's many flaws.

"Congrats kiddo," my father slapped my back and drank his whisky.

"Yeah," I tried smiling but did so haft heartedly. After Madeline I tried to change for the better but even baby steps seemed difficult. We left off on a bad note and our contact has been nonexistent for a while now.

"Hey dad," John came from the large Cupid arch that Melissa insisted on getting. He looked to our father then me. "Where's my mother?"

He was right. She wasn't here. The whole backyard was filled with people in white like they just came from a polo match but the very up-tight, snobby, cold hearted woman was not here. I'd rather not see her anyways, or her high maintenance attitude. She was his mother anyways, but that's a different story.

"She's doing her own thing," my father checked his glass and looked back to John assuringly. His relationship with that woman was always a mystery and one that I never cared to answer.

By "her own thing" he meant starting her own business with my his money because she was obviously a gold digger and manipulative.

"Hello Albert," I heard a sweet voice come from behind John.