XXXVII

A/N Don't hate me and this song literally makes me cry every time I hear it

✾ ✾ ✾ ✾ ✾

Nathan's POV

I recently bought a vacation home in Paris. The house is modern, open and lonely. The only things in it were some boxes that belonged to the family that lived here before and my bed. Aside from that I also had common living supplies that Mrs. Monty recommended to me.

I was sitting outside as the rain fell. There have been constant showers. Still, I worked. I finished reading some newspapers to learn French when my laptop finally made a bing. I was looking at the stocks while also waiting for a message from one of the other companies we supported. Everything seemed organized for now.

I had stopped boxing since the day so I felt my body crumbling. I have also worn much of my business attire already. This made me conclude that I was becoming a pitiful mess.

Usually, all I wore now were my sweats and my faded, torn, and regular blue jeans.

My sweatshirts and t-shirts needed to be washed but I've been to busy to do it myself. What remained were two sweaters that I had bought a few days ago from an old woman who ran a clothing store about a mile from here.

With the door open, I heard my phone ring inside. Every time my phone rang, I was quick to answer. My phone sat at a counter, charging next to the dried flowers.

I hated seeing the flowers. I bought them the day after Madeline was admitted, thinking she'd be awake by then, but she wasn't. So now I kept them, I didn't know why I kept them here, even after becoming ugly and dry, but I couldn't bring myself to throw them away- for some odd reason that even I didn't understand.

I guess the same could be related to why I keep Madeline's necklace inside my luggage. Except in that case, I didn't want to see it. Every time I think of it, I'm reminded of the disgusting arrogance I have. And of the past.

That's right! The phone.

"Hello."

"Nathan? It's me," she said as if I already knew.

"How is she," I lean into the counter and thumb the flowers.

"The doctor is doing some new brain stimulation on her. He said it may not work but they have been testing the theory."

"I'll be there in 20, do you need anything?"

At first silence, then she spoke, "Get yourself something to eat. I know you hardly eat when you're here."

"Alright," and I hanged up.

In five minutes, I was out the door. I had made calls months before and done research for so long but usually these theories were wrong or took years to perfect and support. I didn't want Madeline to be a test subject but we were basically out of options.

The rain fell hard and pounded the outside of the car. I ended up buying some coffee on my way to the hospital.

The streets had a certain eerie fog about them. My mind began playing tricks on me.