Ch. 7: Immune System Preservation (editing)

It came to my attention that instead of Levi wearing his usual suit to work, he came clad in two jackets, a scarf and a beanie, which actually looked adorable on him. Except for the fact he radiated an aura as though he was going to collapse at any moment. His pale complexion was more pallid than normal, and he was shaking, despite how warm it was at the firm.

In retrospect, illness did not translate cuteness when it concerned Levi and his scowl-faced self.

"Oh my goodness, Levi, you look terrible!" I exclaimed, bouncing over to him while attempting to balance a stack of copies Mr. Smith had wanted.

He coughed into his scarf and shook his head, stating, "This is just a common cold for me."

Widening my olive eyes, I gripped the documents tighter while announcing, "Common cold?! You sound awful!"

"I'm fine," he deadpanned, fluttering his heavy eyelids shut by batting his dark lashes. Exhaling an irked breath, he casually buried his hands in the pockets of his outer pea coat and continued: "I have a weak immune system, that's all."

Restraining myself from expressing my vexation towards his fault of not telling me sooner of his condition, I sighed and directed my attention to the small black bows on the top line of my heels. Perplexed with my action, Levi mimicked where my stare had landed, then gazed back at me, even more befuddled than before.

"If that's the case," I drawled, his rainy hues blinking when I spoke again, " then go home and drink some tea. Preferably with honey and lemon."

His naturally narrowed eyes enlarged a minor degree, yet his creased brows remained evident. "But I can't miss work," Levi retorted passively, "Erwin will--!"

"Shh, stop talking, baby," I interjected, raising my left index as a gesture to silence him. "Listen to me, Levi. If your immune system is that fragile, you should be taking better of yourself. Take a break from the stress here, relax and work in the comfort of your own home. Perhaps tomorrow you'll be feeling well enough to return."

"I-is that what you really want me to do?" he inquired, lips slightly parted as if he were surprised.

Knitting my own eyebrows in a sentimental manner, I adjusted the papers in my right arm and glanced at the raven-haired male's coffee oxfords. "Look, I don't mean to be over-assertive, I'm just troubled with knowing you're fulfilling a day's work while battling some godforsaken cold." Pausing, I lifted my lashes to view his flustered form. "Please, it pains me to see you so miserable . . . and it would mean the world to me if you went back to the apartment and snuggled under the sheets in order to prevent your sickness from getting worse."

Levi's cheeks flushed a bright salmon pink, the tone contrasting with his ivory complextion. Clearing his throat in an embarrassed manner, he pinched his scarf and drew it over his nose, mumbling, "I-I would embrace you for such endearing words, but I'm afraid of getting you sick as well."

His doting language earned a smile from me as I crooned, "I'd hug you too, cutie pie, but sadly we're at work. I'll have to take a rain check on that for now."

"C-cutie pie?" Levi's face blushed into a shade of crimson red, and anyone who wasn't oblivious could clearly tell it wasn't from a raging fever. "I will accept handsome, but not 'cutie pie'."

"You know I'd say more," I cooed, giggling as I craned myself a bit closer to the heated male, "but I don't want to embarrass the living crap out of you."

His mouth curved into a sneer when he registered our updated distance. "I'll just leave now, so it will stay that way," he vocalized, pacing one step backwards before huffing indignantly and spinning around until his toned back was greeting me warmly.