Ch. 12: A Butterfly's Heartbeat

Distraught. 

It was the only word I could think of that would describe my feelings at the time.

Distraught was what I felt when Erwin rushed out of the car, ignoring my calls for him to come back as he begged the police to give him information. His brows were knitted when I approached him, the woman officer he had been speaking to only shaking her head in disapproval.

Distraught was what I felt when I grabbed ahold of Erwin's arm, pointing timidly towards the limp driver in the jet black car--the one he identified as his subbordinate's--before recoiling my sight and uttering a croaked, "Levi."

Distraught was what I felt as Erwin shielded the wreckage from me, muttering something incoherent while frigid tears marked my flushed cheeks. A pair of built arms embraced my trembling frame, stifling any sound that escaped from my throat.

Then my surroundings became numb. Every touch, every word, every action was muted and dull. Erwin draped his scarf around my neck, lips pulled into a tight frown as he halted a young paramedic who arrived on the scene, pestering him with questions on Levi's status.

The paramedic explained that if he desired the full details, he would have to swing by the county hospital and obtain a visitor's pass. That was, if Levi happened to survive without major complications, of course. This only created hysteria between Erwin and I, my tears staining his scarf as I feebly attempted to communicate with the medical provider, stating a sentence along the lines of, "You don't understand! How can you be this cruel?"

Maybe the paramedic sympathized with my reaction, or maybe it was in his job description to ease the stress of others; either way, he calmly advised me to hitch a ride back with him to the hospital if I was in such a deep state of distress. I nodded solemnly, then turned to Erwin and mumbled that I would call him once the matter was settled. He didn't object to my decision, and instead turned on his heel and trudged back to his own car. Russell stared out of the windshield at me, his canine eyes glossy and head cocked to the side.

"Sorry boy," I mouthed, veering my head away from the mutt's gloomy expression. "No playtime today it seems."

"Hussle up," the paramedic urged, his accent thick---Australian, perhaps?---and fingers briefly combing over his ashen locks. "They've already got 'em situated, and he's got a pulse."

"Right," I answered back, following in sync with the man's long strides and wiping away the lukewarm liquid that clung to my cheeks. 

He ushered me into the passenger seat of the ambulance, then directed his orders at the driver. "Ryan, let the young lady take my seat, and seal your lips about it."

Ryan arched an eyebrow in confusion. "Are ya sure about this, Martin? I mean, I'm not even sure if it's allowed."

Martin sneered at Ryan's reaction, pursing his lips after some thought. "I know but, that guy, the victim, she desperately wants him to make it. Just, please, ya gotta do this."

"Well, he ain't gonna make it if ya stand there dawdling," Ryan scolded, his green eyes peering over at Martin. "Do what you're trained to do and save people's lives."

Martin nodded in affirmation, slammed the door and scurried off to the back. Ryan side-glanced at me while I zipped the seat belt over my chest and into its secured lock. I returned the gesture only to avert my olive hues from his stare. "Don't be so glum, missy," Ryan said, his accent just as foreign as his co-worker's. "I'm sure your friend'll be fine."

I gripped the seat belt with both hands and pressed my cheek to the strap, whispering, "I hope so."

Ryan drew a deep breath as the back doors clanked shut, the console lighting up seconds later. My line of sight fell on the remnants of the scene; all the shattered glass littering the concrete and the officers jotting down descriptions from pedestrians who witnessed the calamity seemed unrealistic. My eyelids grew heavy and I blocked out the frightening images, only listening as the sirens wailed endlessly in the darkness.