Ch. 9: Workplace Shenanigans . . . ? (editing)

I don't know, maybe Marco saw it on my face or maybe I make it too obvious. Either way, he knew something was up right when I walked into the kitchen. Coffee and toast wasn't a good enough barrier for me, and soon, I cracked under his pestering questions.

    I slammed my hands on the table, ignoring the sting that came with it. "Fine! If you must know, I'm just happy to see someone today!"

    Marco's eyes widened. "Ooh, does my little Roxy have a boyfriend?"

    "He's not my boyfriend!" I blurted out, quickly catching my mistake and covering my mouth.

    "Roxanne, you do! You do have a boyfriend! Why didn't you tell me?"

    I sighed and rested my cheek in my hand. "We barely started going out, that's why. I mean, we've known each other for a couple of months and it just, I don’t know, happened. Now will you leave me alone about it?”

    Marco shook his head and said nothing. I rolled my eyes and went back to my breakfast like we never had a conversation in the first place.

    “I’m going to call Reiner and tell him,” he teased, moving to get out of seat.

    I pursed my lips and snarled, “You better sit your ass down if you know what’s good for you.”

    He blinked innocently and flashed me a sheepish grin. He sat back down from his mid step position and uttered, “Yes ma’am.”

    I love Marco to death, I really do. But telling Reiner is huge red flag. If Reiner knew I was dating again, he'd be on my ass about every little thing.

    If people could alter the past, I’d be the first to correct the mistakes I've made.

~*~

    Meetings are always the same. No matter where it is, you and a handful of others pile into a stuffy room, review the year’s statistics and pretend like you’re actually listening to your boss. You scribble something down here and there, you doze off and find yourself being tapped by the person sitting next to you.

    The atmosphere was calm around the office, nobody seemed to be worried as they milled around aimlessly to pass the time. Mira was no where to be found and neither was Phil, rendering me alone and useless.

    I could have seeked out Levi but there were a few faults with that plan.

    1. I would risk looking like a fool going up to his office and he wasn't there to begin with.

    2. He would be there, but I might run into his intern. Then I'd be risking her tattling to Mr. Smith about Levi and I.

    For me, I had to pick my poison. Be ridiculed or get in trouble and neither sounded appealing to be my morning adventure of the day. I let out a huff and took a moment to assess what I was doing with my life. Sulking, I trudged to the third floor in hopes I could talk to anyone.

    To my surprise, Levi was there and Miss Ral was not. I giggled and skipped up behind him, wrapping my arms around his slim waist.

    "Oh, Levi, you don't know how happy I am to see you here," I squeaked out. "I thought for sure I was going to go insane!"

    "Roxanne, please, it's too early for you to be causing a ruckus. Now let go."

    I pouted and complied to his request. He turned to face me, hands on his hips as an exasperated breath escaped his lips. "I swear, have you no shame, Miss Westbrook?"

    "Oh, so we're going to play that game, are we now?" I inquired in a sarcastic tone.

    "We're. At. Work. Missy." For every word, he tapped the tip of my nose in a playful manner.