Chapter 2

Returning my kids to their mother always made me feel like I was losing pieces of me I would never get back. Just as I suspected, Lucy allowing me a small reprieve was gone the moment we awoke Sunday morning. She went right back to talking (or not talking to me) like I wasn't even there.

Julian still hadn't returned from his trip and I could tell Em was jumpy though she would never admit that to me. Instead she insisted that she and the kids were fine and that she could protect herself.

I didn't push the issue. I'd learned in the past that pushing Em did not end well for me. Instead I gave my kids a kiss goodbye and left them to their day.

I went home and sat on the couch, staring at a TV that was off while I contemplated all the ways I had screwed up my life. I had things to do and people to talk to but all I could think about was the fact that my family wasn't here with me.

As little as six months ago my house was filled with laughter and love. The sounds of my children playing together while my fiancee told them to be careful. The sounds of their laughter used to reverberate through the halls.

And the silence now that they were gone was deafening.

I walked into the restaurant Em had told me to meet her at before we headed to Lucy's school. I was proud of myself. I was three minutes early. Emily wasn't even here yet. I saw her walking in out of the corner of my eye, struggling with Noah's baby bag as she held our son in her arms and also tried to get Lucy to walk ahead of her.

I quickly ran out to take Noah and the bag from her,

"Gimme that." I said, "Why didn't you call me to tell me you were in the parking lot and needed help?"

She frowned as she reached down to smooth Lucy's pigtails,

"I didn't think you'd be here yet."

I quickly clapped my mouth shut. That was actually a perfectly valid excuse. She turned into the restaurant and told the hostess we needed a table for four with a highchair. The hostess' eyes widened when she saw us, indicating she knew very well who we were. I slipped her a $100 bill,

"Privacy please?"

She nodded,

"Absolutely Sir. Right this way."

Once we were seated and the kids were taken care of the waiter took our drink order and quickly left us in peace.

I looked up at Emily,

"New record is almost done." I was desperate for us to talk about something. Anything. Anything that didn't involve me or what I'd done or the state of our relationship. I just wanted to connect with her as one human being to another. So we could find some common ground again. Maybe it would be the beginning of a road back to each other.

She raised her eyebrows but stayed looking at the menu,

"Good to hear. I'm sure that makes Liam happy."

I smiled. It made me feel good to know that she still remembered how keyed up Liam would get during the times when we were recording new music.

"He's very excited. We'll be going on a promo tour soon. And a tour is in the works so we can support the CD."

She looked up at me, swirling the straw in her soda,

"Sounds exciting. I'm sure you're excited to get back to it."

I looked down at the menu,

"I'd like you to listen to the CD." I said softly, my heart stopping when her eyes finally focused on me, "When you have the time."