Chapter 21

I laid on my couch and stared at the ceiling of my living room until it grew dark outside that night. I didn't bother to look at my phone any time it made a noise, I knew none of them were from Emily and she's the only person I wanted to speak to at the moment.

I should have stood my ground. I knew once she heard what happened that night she wouldn't be able to get past it.

Friday rolled around without a word from her. It was supposed to be my weekend with Noah and Lucy but I wasn't entirely sure if going over there to pick them up was a good idea. Turned out I didn't need to worry. As I pulled up to my house, I noticed Emily's car parked out front. She was sitting on the front stairs with Noah in her arms while Lucy hopped and did cart wheels across my front lawn.

I got out of my truck and stood there, staring back at her for a few moments. I was completely stunned to see them all there.

Emily stood up, balancing Noah on her hip as I approached,

"Hi." She said softly.

I blinked a few times, still unable to shake myself out of the shock that she was there,

"Hi."

"Daddy!!!" Lucy screamed as she headed towards me at top speed.

I leaned down to catch her, scooping her up in my arms before she crashed into me,

"Hi, Diz."

She giggled,

"Mumma said we could all go to dinner together."

I looked over at Em,

"She did, huh?" I asked as I looked back at Lucy, "Well I suppose that would be ok." I looked back at Emily, "Mind if I go get changed? I'm a little sweaty from my workout."

She nodded,

"Yeah."

I opened the front door and followed them into the house. Emily quickly loaded Noah into his swing. She turned to Lucy,

"Keep an eye on your brother ok?"

I didn't want to leave the immediate area. I felt like I was almost in a dream. What if she left while I was in another room? What if this was a dream?
What if I was going crazy right there in my living room in front of my family?

She turned to me, gesturing to my room,

"Can we talk?"

I nodded. I was actually concerned with my ability to walk since I was still so amazed she was standing in my house. Thankfully she walked in front of me, affording me a moment to gather myself.

I closed the door once inside my room. I turned around, ready to start talking fast and apologize. She apparently had other ideas as she took two steps towards me and wrapped her arms around my neck, pulling me down to her.

I breathed out the longest sigh of relief ever. She balanced her chin on my shoulder,

"Thank you."

"Why are you thanking me?" I asked.

"Because I know you didn't want to do that, but you did. And I know it was for me."

I squeezed her to me, my eyes falling closed as I just enjoyed her back in my arms. She pulled away a bit but kept her arms around my neck,

"It was just really hard to hear." She whispered.

I nodded,

"I know. I'm sorry."

"You don't have to keep saying you're sorry."