Chapter 23

Today was the day. The record party was tonight. Em had left with the kids sometime yesterday afternoon, much to my chagrin. I must have asked her at least ten times to stay, but she insisted on going home since that's where her dress was. Not to mention Lottie was planning to come by and fix her hair and makeup.

So I was stuck alone last night and this morning. It was weird to me how much I hated being alone when it had never really been an issue for me before. I half expected to hear Noah squealing or Lucy loudly singing in her bedroom but I was met with silence instead.

Hopefully tonight that would end and Em and I could get back to our life together. I took my time eating breakfast and waking up for the day, since I had about five hours until Serena, my stylist, came over to dress me.

What a weird concept. Most days I dressed myself just fine but suddenly cameras and a party were involved and I had to have someone pick out my clothes.

I heard my phone ringing with my mum's ringtone as I was walking towards my bathroom. I detoured to the dresser to pick it up,

"Ello?"

"Hi Baby. You have the party tonight?"

"Yeah." I nodded.

"We'll be at Em's to pick up the kids in about an hour. I've tried to call Emily a few times but she's not answering."

"She's probably in the shower. I'll try calling in a few and let her know."

"Are you ok?"

I took a moment before I responded. I knew what she was asking me. I let out a deep sigh,

"We're getting there, Mum. Just need to work out a few more things. But we're getting there."

"I'm so proud of you, Honey."

My eyebrows raised. I hadn't heard that from her in awhile. It wasn't her fault, I wasn't a whole lot to be proud of up until a few months ago,

"Yeah?"

She nodded,

"You've really got your life back together. I mean I have always been so proud of you...but to see the improvements you've made lately to get your family back...it's really made me so happy."

"Thanks. I don't have them back yet though."

"You'll get there. Emily is just one dance away from falling back in love."

I blinked back a set of surprise tears. I hoped so. I really did.

---------------------------------

I stepped out of the shower to hear my phone ringing again. This time it was Em's ringtone. I quickly wrapped myself in a robe and grabbed my buzzing phone,

"Ello, My Love."

"Hi. Your mum's coming to get the kids in a few minutes." I could hear the smile in her voice. She was excited, "I just wanted to hear your voice." She finished softly.

My heart squeezed in my chest,

"I'm glad you called. I wish you would have stayed last night."

"I should have. I just-" She abruptly cut off her sentence.

"It's ok...I know. You don't have to finish."

"In all of the commotion last night and this morning. I forgot to ask if you were feeling better."

I smiled to myself. When she was worried about me it made me feel valued,

"I'm ok. Just ready to see you in this dress you've hyped up."