Chapter 25

It's weird how that saying "the more things change, the more they stay the same" becomes true in situations like this. Emily and I were completely different yet exactly the same. We hovered around each other, yet there was a renewed sense of independence between us. We were considerate of each other's space, yet never wanted to give each other two inches of said space. I couldn't have imagined after passing through the hell we'd just gone through that we could have come out of it the other side stronger and more in love, but that's seemingly exactly what happened.

We called my mum when we finally woke up. I could tell by her voice that she knew what had happened and she couldn't have been happier about it. She immediately made plans to get together with Emily as soon as she could.

I left them alone to talk as soon as we said our goodbyes to Lucy and Noah. I knew that my mother was the only mother figure Emily really had. And she'd missed out on that connection and relationship for the past year. They had a lot to catch up on.

So I stretched out on the couch in the living room and smiled to myself as I thought about all the things Emily and I were going to do. More kids was a given. Maybe we'd get married, maybe we wouldn't. I didn't think it was as necessary as I had in the past.

One thing was for sure, I would never let anything come between us again. I heard the floors creak as Emily walked out, still wearing nothing but one of my t-shirts and a pair of underwear. She crawled on top of me on the couch and laid her head on my chest.

I kissed the top of her head,

"Good talk?" She nodded, "Lunch date next week then?" She nodded again, cuddling her body into mine and closing her eyes. I pushed my mouth into her hair, "Everything ok?" I asked after a few moments of silence.

She squeezed me gently with her arms,

"Yeah. Shhhhh..."

"Shhhh?" I asked.

She nodded,

"Just wanna lay here with you and be quiet."

I smiled and laid my head back on the pillow. I gently rubbed her back in circles, my eyes closing as well, until we were both peacefully asleep.

----------------------------

Emily wanted potatoes for dinner. It didn't matter what else was with it, but she definitely wanted potatoes. Since I wasn't about to deny her squat, I got to work in the kitchen immediately. She sat on the counter, watching with pride written all over her face while I whipped up an almost gourmet meal in front of her.

She shook her head, kicking her feet slightly. Her hands were braced against the counter,

"Gettin' pretty good at that, Styles."

I shook my head,

"I've always been good at this."

She shrugged,

"I guess that's accurate." Once I put the potatoes in the oven and wiped my hands, she leaned forward and wrapped her hands around my wrists, "C'mere..." She said softly, pulling me towards her.

I stood between her legs, wearing nothing but an apron and a pair of boxer shorts. She linked her ankles behind me while she reached up to push some hair off of my forehead,

"Thank you."

I relaxed into her,

"For potatoes?"

She giggled softly,

"Yes...but also for being so patient. You never pushed me or manipulated me into what you wanted. You let me come to you in my own time."