Chapter 13

I was floating on air as I left Emily's house. I drove home with a smile on my face that was a mile wide. People driving by me or in front of me must have thought I was insane. I couldn't help it. The one thing I'd been waiting for, working for, praying for...finally happened.

I had my shot. I just needed to make sure I didn't fuck it up.

I walked into my house, warmed up some food and sat on the couch. I was still smiling. It would probably take weeks to wipe it off my face.

I'm sure I was counting my chickens before they hatched. But I didn't care. I was going to get my family back. There was no if's, and's or but's about it.

----------------------------------

Emily was frazzled when I got to her house two days later to pick her up for our session with Diana. Despite my intense need to be with her, I knew I needed to make sure not to push her too hard. It had taken me months just to get her to allow me the slightest inch. I knew there was no way she was going to hop back into my arms.

We still had things to fix. There were discussions we needed to have. Hard discussions that were going to test both of us. But I was ready for it. Hard things didn't scare me. I was determined to take every piece of anger she had to throw at me and still come out swinging. She'd watched me fall victim to my demons. I was going to make sure she also saw me change.

She ran her hand through her hair as I walked in the front door,

"Hey."

I could hear Noah crying as she walked away from the front door back towards her kitchen. I closed the door and followed her into the room. He was sitting in his high chair, his face red and splotchy as his mouth hung open,

"I don't know why he's so upset. But I can't leave him like this for Jess. She'll be here in a few minutes."

I nodded,

"Can I try?" I asked softly.

She looked at me, seemingly a little sad that I was asking to begin with. She nodded,

"Please."

I reached forward, taking him out of the high chair while he still screamed. I could tell that Emily was scared he might be sick again, but a quick touch of my palm to his forehead proved he wasn't hot at all.

I started to talk to him softly. Nothing of any consequence, just babbling about my morning and how much I missed him. I kissed his head. After a few minutes, he quieted down. After a few more minutes, he was quiet.

Emily sighed with relief when I handed him back to her,

"Thank you. He's been screaming all morning."

I watched as she cleaned him up, wiping food stains off his cherub cheeks. She looked over at me. I could tell she felt awkward. We'd been apart for so long and she was just getting reacquainted with her emotions. It was overwhelming.

I sat down on the stool across from her,

"Em," I called out to her. She looked up at me. I gave her a reassuring smile, "It's ok."

She held my gaze for a minute. I knew she got what I was saying. She nodded gently,

"I'm gonna go change him. Jess should be here in a minute."

I heard the knock at the front door almost immediately after Emily left the kitchen. I opened it to see Jessica standing there with a huge smile on her face. I knew then that Emily had probably spoken to her or Niall last night. I sighed,