4/27/20

Nicholas sat down in front of his desk and reached for his pen, when he stopped himself from lifting it. He looked down at his astronomy notes, And then at where his diary sat on the bookshelf, Something was urging him to write in it. After his resistance gave in, he retrieved the diary, opened to a fresh page, and lifted the pen. "One entry couldnt possibly be of harm?" he asked out loud.

  Dear diary, I--

A noise of disgust interrupted him, And he tossed the pen down on the desk, Leaving a trail of ink spots. His curiosity taking hold, he found his way to the dining room, where Isa and Zenia had taken one side of the table. "Youll have to drink all of it," Zenia informed Isa, "Otherwise it wont take full effect."
Isa reluctantly took a sip of a Dark green steaming liquid, and gagged, "Its revolting." she described.
"May I ask what is going on here?" Nicholas asked, Isa braced herself for another drink.
"A cool-down," Zenia began, and halted Nicholas' protest before it started, "Not meaning temperature, but meaning to calm oneself." the salamander explained, "Ill let your imagination run."
Isa reluctantly swallowed another mouthful of the tea, Her face pale from the taste, "What was this brewed with?" She asked.
Zenia Looked into her empty cup, "A common Fungus, Cinnamon, Distilled alcohol, and a chip of my claw. With tea leaves from The cupboard."
Isa looked at the half-empty mug, "It sounds like it would be more delightful." she replied.
Zenia looked at her ring finger, and the chip in it's black claw, "If it was boiled without the extra ingredients it would Put you to sleep from its foul flavor."
Nicholas raised his brow, "Where did you distill the alcohol from?" he asked, then threw his hands up when he spotted an empty sake flask Sitting by the rubbish bin. "My sake!"
"Your daughter." Zenia countered, Not wanting to fully explain the purpose behind the calming tea, and Nicholas returned to his study.
Isa looked at the last quarter of the contents of her ceramic mug, "I think thats good enough, I feel content."
Zenia peeked into Isa cup and shook her head, "you've twenty-Three years on your shoulders, drink the last of it like youre a grown woman."

Dear Diary, Ive become troubled. We all have. For several years weve been trapped in my estate, surrounded by mercenaries who shoot at us if they see us. theyre persistent, and the biting cold doesnt deter them for a moment, though being April the cold will take its leave soon. aside from the murderers outside, Im the only human in my estate, ive studied and interviewed each of my maids about their subspecies, and whatever they know about themselves. Sora species is called "Kikimora" a race of more subtle harpy who have adapted to a life of servitude, a servant race to be specific. Zenia, as stated before, is a salamander, a flame-tailed lizard-woman with an appetite for Deadly Swordplay. Melana, a low-class vampire, is older than anything I know or own, she was born in Romania and hasn't drank human blood in over a century. How has she survived this long? poor dear. Lydia on the other hand I mistook for a lamia, but instead calls herself a "sand-worm," Claiming her "tail" Is simply at a reduced size through magic. It's outer teeth Grasp at her waist and it's false, crimson eye-jewels Are found on either side of it's stony head. She also has a jewel on the outer side of either arm, Which gleam in sunlight if she chooses to wear a Formal dress, exposing her arms and shoulders. lastly, Chandra, is a knight from heaven itself, a valkyrie, with four Golden-white wings and Skill that could match Zenia in bladed combat. Who would have the upper hand there, Zenia, with her katana and relic of a musket, or Chandra with her heavy sabre and armor? if they fight I do hope they take it outside, sometimes I feel Sora cleans too much. as for my daughter, Isa, she has become quite a fine woman, though shes becoming cramped in this house. the length of her tail can bother her at times, If it doesnt coil. Ive so many more questions that need be answered.
<a line of splattered ink separates the paragraphs>
A bullet has flown through my window and impacted my bookshelf, I write under my desk as rushing talons and iron boots hurry to my door, I must set this down for now, My life is on the line.

-Nick

Nicholas quickly opened a drawer and pulled a key, then crawled across the floor and tossed aside the rug, exposing a safe. he unlocked the safe and reluctantly opened it, revealing a revolver handgun. the door bust open, Zenia chambered a round into her musket, and took cover under a window as more bullets punched through the glass. "Where are the others?" Nick Barked, Concerned for Isa, Sora, Lydia, and Melana.
Lydia opened the door and belly crawled across the floor, "Im here, what do you ask of me?" she requested, and Nick handed her the revolver.
"Defend our home." Nicholas let her take the gun, She pulled back the hammer and readied herself. Chandra was holding a blue, round shield up as she moved, the bullets bounced off and fell on the floor Harmlessly as she made her way across the room.
Zenia popped up and took a quick shot, taking down an exposed mercenary, "They have vehicles, machine guns, and a large crate with some sort of sigil." She described, reloading.
Nick looked over the window sill, and recognized the sigil. The Japanese man squeezed his luggage key in a white-knuckle grip, "Oh, we used to be friends, work acquaintances even. Where are the others? and Isa?" he asked.
Lydia Spent two rounds trying to return fire, both Missed, "Theyre hidden, safe." She described.
The bullets stopped coming, And the four risked peeking over the window sill. "Mister Hamichi!" A taunting voice called, the speaker unseen outside the wrought iron fence, most likely in cover, "Me and the gents have missed you, and weve made some new friends that would like to meet you!"
Chandra scooted closer to Nick, "Do you know these men?" She asked, but Nick was pale, his face and eyes with differing emotions.
"All too well." he responded. A group of attackers pushed the Oversized crate into Nick's front yard, Stopped, and fled behind cover. Zenia and Lydia missed them by inches.
"Weve got a new contractor, wants your gals and your head. and the american." There was slightly audible laughter as the crate fell open, revealing an oversized rose that dug roots into the grass, "One of my new friends, Say hello to her," The voice jeered as the rose began to open, "Alice, Mistress of thorns!" The rose opened, revealing a green-skinned woman with red hair and leaves covering her upper torso, her lower half submerged in the rose petals.
"Alarune!" Zenia Growled, on edge, her tail began to heat up as vines covered in thorns dug through the grass to invade the estate.