6/8/20

Dear diary,
Jack and Mary Seem to fit in well among us in the estate, Though the light skirmishes between Melana and Mary tend to get bothersome. Their racism is getting out of hand, And its purely induced by two things; one, Melana's hatred for mixed-race vampire offspring, and two, Mary's hatred for a lack of romantic relations. keeping the two separated seems to be a very wise decision me and Jack made for the two non-humans. Ive had another dream of the woman last night, In the dream I was shaken awake from napping against a tree, in a white plane of emptiness. The woman stood over me, Her friendly smile on that stunning face captivated me in the moment, and in that moment she told me: "Help them." And turned around to point at three shaded figures, with Zenia, Isa, and Chandra standing next to them. They seemed frozen, echoes of who they were in the dream. I stood and squinted my gaze, One shade looked to be a copy of Isa, another with western clothing, and the last like a villain. The woman stretched her wings, And reached for me In surprise as the dream faded. I awoke to find Sora standing at the edge of my bed, wrapped in a bedsheet, Her downy feathers like thick winter cuffs on her wrists. Agitated, I immediately ordered her to leave. with the rising perverseness of my servents, discipline may be required. As for Sors, the same day as her day off I found her curled into a fetal position, Confused by her lack of chores, so as per request I dont believe she will have another free day, but she will happily accept one hour long break per week to nap during the day.

-Nicholas

    Outside, music had begun to play, something from an instrument Nicholas had never heard before. Walking over to his window, Nick pushed aside the blinds overlooking his backyard, He spied Jack standing in the greenhouse, playing a brass trumpet. His interest piqued, and Nicholas left the study as Chandra and Isa went outside to investigate.
     Jack tapped his foot to the rhythm he played, His still-smoking cigarette butt Stamped into the ground. Isa was coiled in one spot, listening intently, while Chandra's wings swayed. Nicholas approached Chandra, and tried not to disturb the others who were listening, "What is he playing?" Nicholas asked.
    Chandra giggled, "The trumpet, he says the music is Jazz," She felt two of her wings brush Nick, and she quickly pulled them against her back, "Im sorry, I didnt bother you did I?" She asked, slightly concerned.
    Nick shook his head no, "Not at all, Chandra, why ask?" He asked her, wondering about her sudden emotional shift. Chandra stammered, unable to get the words out, "I must be going." she blurted suddenly, and quickly left to re-enter the Estate.
The trumpet stopped, "Whats her deal? Didnt get a handfull of her caboose, did you, Nick?" Jack teased.
     Alice brushed a leaf out of her face, "Can you play again, Jack? I have fallen in love with that Instrument of yours."
      Mary turned and rested her back against the glass doorframe, "That means something else in America." the dhampir prodded, The alarune rolled her eyes.
      Jack put the trumpet back to his lips, then paused and turned to Nick, "It seems you got yourself a lady problem, how about you go work that charm of yours on that dove?" The old man adjusted his fedora, And pointed at some tiny snapdragons growing in the soil, "Those little guys ready, Alice?" He joked.
Alice laughed, "Always, Jack." She answered. as Jack began to play again, The snapdragons seemed to dance.
      Inside the estate, Nicholas roamed the halls for Chandra, not finding her on the upper floor. Searching the lower, he gave a patrolling enemy a rude gesture as Nick walked past a window. Passing through the kitchen and Into the servant's quarters, he saw Chandra's door was closed.
     Nicholas tapped on her door with one finger, "Chandra, are you feeling okay?" He called through the wooden door. "Chandra? are you in there? im concerned for you." After more silence, Nick pressed his ear against the door, and heard a tiny noise of agony. With fear on his mind, Nicholas barged open the door, to see Chandra gripping one of her wings, spots of red
    dripped to the blanket from her hand, a small knife rested on her leg, A line of blood along the edge of the blade.
     "Please shut the door." Chandra asked in a low voice. Nicholas complied, worried to death about her. After the door was shut, Nicholas reached for her wing, she had removed her dress to cut the upper left one.
Nicholas was at a loss for words, "What have you done to yourself, chandra? youve cut your own wing, I--"
     "Theyre hideous." chandra interrupted, "I dont want to carry them, or my shame anymore." The valkyrie added.
     Nicholas gave her a strange look, "Your wings are beautiful, Chandra, Why do you say that?" Nick asked, and gently touched her fingers that clutched her wing, "Let me see the wound."
     Chandra shied away, "Theyre deformed, One-Third the size theyre supposed to be, Ill never fly or Display them proudly." Chandra released the wing, streaks of red ran down her back, she stared at her own blood in the palm of her hand, "Not even in the realm of the heavens could I fly, my allies, the other valkyrie, Bombarded me with insults, they had to take me everywhere, To each cloud, each garden," she explained, Breaking up, "What curse is this, the defining feature of a valkyrie, Useless and ungrown, unfit for aiding a knight or paladin to become a champion or hero. I couldn't land on earth without help, ill never see my home again." She looked up at the roof, "I am an eyesore to them, a burden."
     Nicholas snatched the knife quickly, and set it under the bed, "Come now, chandra, those are just a few valkyrie, what do they know?" Nicholas thought back, "Your shield impenetrable, your blade unforgiving on our enemies, Your stature unflinching when youre shot, You are one of the strongest people ive met."
    Chandra turned around to face nick, "What does that have to do with my wings?" She asked, Her eyes moist.
     "Absolutely nothing, because theyre as gorgeous as the person you are." Nicholas responded, "Youve never yelled, sworn, nor become irritated or annoyed in the slightest when helping Isa learn her arithmetic and grammar, Despite her persistence. Your nobility is as unbreakable as your stance, Your will like your shield, and your mind your sword. Youre as brilliant at heart as you are on the surface." Nicholas explained his thoughts on her, And watched her gaze Slowly fall back to her hand. after several moments, She clenched her hand into a fist and a single tear fell from her eye.
    "I apologize for my arrogance, Nicholas," she started, "Youve forgotten that im stubborn." The valkyrie laid back, then laid her head in Nick's lap, "Its childish to think so low of myself, but ive always carried my wings without pride." Chandra lay there for what seemed like forever, when she rose and surprised Nick by pecking his cheek with her lips, "Youre a kind man, thank you." The valkyrie stood, retrieved her dress, And pulled it back over her head.
"Youre welcome, Chandra, each of you is as dear to me as Isa." Nicholas Stood and dusted off his pants, "Good day, Chandra, please remember how brilliant you are."
   Outside the door, Melana walked away, a twinge of tight emotion began to overtake her heart.