Resolve

Sweat drenched the two samurai as they lashed out at each other, both taking turns on the attack and defense. Where Nick saw a hole in Havo's defense, he defended a strike. Where Havo struck, Nick countered. An immovable object had met an unstoppable force. Something had to give. Nick pressed his blade against Havo's, Both men were covered in scratches that were near-misses, "My blade thirsts for your heart, Havo." Nick threatened. Havo humphed and broke the sword lock, then shunted backwards to evade Nick's following attack.
"You grow weary, Nicholas," Havo pointed out, "Youre an old man with a grudge." Havo pointed his sword and struck at Nick twice, Nicholas ducked and rolled to the side, the blade smacking against the marble slab inches from his shoulder.
     "I grow tired of your existence!" Nicholas barked, Then rolled again and pushed up from the ground after dodging a curb stomp.
     Havo chuckled, "I lost alot of yen, alot of business because of you." The yakuza head Slashed downwards, Nick brought up his wakazashi and the blades locked once more.
     Nick spat, "Yen? dirty money." Nick punched Havo square in the gut, and swung upwards at his chest, only to have it deflected, "Business? I freed slaves." Nicholas hissed, recalling Sora on that day so many years ago. Nicholas madly swung his sword, The blade passed just over Havo's hairline, mere inches from his scalp. A thrust was redirected to empty air, Havo counter-attacked to land a blow on Nick's arm; The leather was easily cleaved through and The wound stung like acid, but was not serious. "Friends?" Nick raised his voice as he turned his blade upwards, into a proper hold, "I brought justice to kidnappers, rapists, thieves, murderers, and opium lords, They burn in hell!"
     Nick let loose a flurry of strikes and counters, pushing back Havo a step at a time as Nick pushed him back. Havo felt looming defeat as his back brushed the wall next to Nick's front door. Havo waited for his moment, and took it. He deflected Nick's would-be killing blow, Used his arm's length to push it aside, and sent his half of his katana through Nick's shoulder. Nick gaped in agony, hed never felt such searing pain. "Defeated again, Mister Hamichi," Havo triumphed, "You would have done well to Learn your pl--" Nicholas Snatched Havo's revolver from it's holster, and stuck the muzzle in havo's mouth.
"Silence!" Nick Shouted as he pulled the trigger, Havo's eyes rolled back as his body fell to limp, dragging the sword from nick's shoulder. Nicholas pointed the gun at Havo's face, and unloaded the last four rounds into the lifeless head, Pulling the iron trigger until it clicked. Nicholas threw the revolver at Havo's corpse, "Greet your friends for me." Nicholas hissed through gritted teeth. He sheathed his blade as He began to pull off his armor and drop it as he walked away, through the battle-damaged estate, And to the back yard.
     In the Greenhouse, Alice, Melana, and Mary Crowded around a weak Zenia as Alice conjured a fruit in her hand. Nicholas approached, A bloody mess. "Nick!" Zenia called as she reached for him, The alarune held her down, "Youre okay!" She added, a thick layer of medical wrap around her waist and chest.
     "Indeed, Zenia. are you?" Nicholas returned the question, Looking down at her belly. Alice handed Zenia a plump, red fruit.
"Eat this, It will help you heal." Alice explained. Zenia accepted the fruit and Took a bite. It tasted bitter, its juices like medicine.
"It tastes awful. the tea is still worse." Zenia Remarked as she sat upright, her bleeding stopped.
     "Nick," Mary requested his attention, "We have grim news." She Informed him.
     "What is it, mary?" Nicholas asked, As zenia stood on shaky legs. "Zenia, her--"
     "The bullet meant to kill me destroyed my womb." Zenia interrupted, "The placement was right, The trajectory, My other organs will heal-as will I- but..." She closed her eyes and accepted the fate bestowed upon her, "At the cost of my future children."
     Nick took a step forwards and stumbled, but Melana and a soft vine caught him. Nick reached out and touchd Zenia's belly, The salamander winced, she flinched, then relaxed. "You poor creature." Nick whispered, Feeling a lump in his throat.
      Alice stood from her rose petal, and held out a vial with a small seed inside. She pulled the cork from the vial and dipped it in the rose nectar, then sealed the honey-colored fluid and seed within, "Take this, please, before you go."
      Nick took the vial, "What is this?" He asked, holding it up to the sunlight.
      Alice Stood back up, "My mother's seed, it is what you would call a Sibling." She explained, "Dont make this any harder a goodbye." the alarune added.
      "What do you mean? arent you coming?" Mary asked, Then nodded her head in understanding as Alice tugged at her legs, Which were bound to the flower.
    Nicholas pocketed the vial and held out his hand, "It's been a pleasure having you as our guest, Alice," He shook hands with the light-green skinned mamono, "This garden has never been more stunning."
      Around them, shiny green leaves bobbed in the wind, exotic fruits and berries grew from the shrubs, Bright-colored flowers bloomed in the sunlight, And all the growth thanks to the Queen of Thorns. Alice Simply waved at Nick, Zenia, Mary, and Melana. The Alarune bid farewell as the four approached the back gate.
      Melana bowed her head, "May we meet again, Queen of Thorns." the vampire returned the farewell, and Alice was left to her solitude, under a glass roof behind an abandoned manor.
Deep in the forest, By a fallen, lichen-covered tree, Nicholas, Jack, Isa, and Nick's maids regrouped. Isa quickly rushed to Nicholas and wrapped her arms around him, Resting her head on his shoulder, A little of Nick's blood clung to her face, "Are you okay?" Isa asked, Spotting the wound where Havo had stuck her father.
     "Im okay, Darling," Nicholas Patted her head, "A bit of medicine and itll be a scar."
     Lydia Looked down from the open jaws of her body, "Are you all okay? The dirt was hard to burrow through with all the roots, it was like swimming in molasses."
     Sora sat on the fallen tree's trunk, deep in thought, grasping one of her feathered wrists. Zenia dropped onto her backside, Gloomy. Melana pulled her collar up to her ears, feeling out of place in the sun while Mary and Jack stepped away from the group to smoke. Chandra stood like a sentry, Her eyes closed, letting the rays of the sun warm her face and wings.
     Nicholas drew his blade and hobbled to the middle of a trunk, where he Turned the blade towards the earth and sank the bloodied wakazashi into the wood, But was reluctant to let go.
     Zenia stood back up, and approached Nick from behind, "Why do you harm your blade?" She asked, gently.
     Nick Let go of the cloth-wrapped handle and left the sword in the fallen tree, The silver, Tattooed blade glinted in the sun, "I dont need it anymore," He explained. Unknowingly, the girls and Jack were paying attention, "It carries both the Pride ive felt defending the innocent from evil, And it carries the weight of my evil
Harming the innocent." Nick touched the base of the handle one last time, "It is a burden, and a trophy. A monument to my life, what I regret, and what I cherish. It is too big a weight for me." The ex-yakuza looked down at his sword with a heavy heart, as if to visit the grave of a fallen friend.
     Chandra stretched her small wings in the sunlight, Her white feathers Brightened by the day, "A curse and an honor, though you choose to leave it." Chandra opened her eyes, "I dont understand, and I may never, but it seems you are making a wise choice." the valkyrie gave her opinion.
     "Indeed," Melana Tilted her head in agreement, "An interestibg decision, Nicholas. I am glad we serve you."
     Lydia's hands were engulfed by rippling, transparent spheres as her worm's body shrank, Until it was similar to Isa's tail in size, "Its a charming sight, seeing it there," Lydia added, admiring the beauty of nature as it accepted the sword, "Perhaps this will be a good home for it."
     Sora remained silent, Causing a stir within Nick's mind. Nicholas approached the kikimora, startling her, "Youre very quiet, Sora, What bothers you?" Nick asked.
     Sora rolled up her sleeves, her soft feathers Draped down her forearms as she revealed them from hiding in her sleeves, "Those men wanted so much from me, so much I would never give," The harpy stood, her bird-like feet imprinted the soft soil, "I owe you so much more than a lifetime of servitude, master, but I have nothing to give in return for saving my life again."
      Nicholas placed a hand on sora's shoulder, "Your friendship is the perfect payment for me." he let go of her shoulder, Sora felt warmth in her heart.
     Zenia hugged Nick from behind, "Strong in body, soul, heart, AND mind," Zenia complimented, "Ive never had more of an attraction to one man." Her tail was blazing, Radiating heat as it's flames danced in the air.
      Isa took Nick's arm and held his hand, "Youve made such great friends with these women, Father, theyre like a family to you." Isa scanned the faces of the non-humans in front of her, The Kikimora, The Sand Worm, the Vampire, The Valkyrie, then she turned her gaze to the Salamander cradling against nick, then to the Dhampir and her human partner who laughed at an unheard joke.
    "I could have never asked for a greater man to become my father." lay her head against Nick's arm, then quickly retracted as he winced, "I apologize."
      Jack and Mary approached Nick, looking cheerful as ever, "Heya, Nicky-boy, how about you and me go shoot the breeze, some man-on-man time, yeah?" Jack joked, and before Nicholas could protest he was dragged away by Jack, Zenia growled in irritation as Mary put her hands up to stop any followers; "Boys only! if you lack a dingleberry stay away, Jack's orders."
     Jack pulled Nick behind a thick set of bushes, and his disposition changed, "Good, they cant see the bones." He Sighed, and pointed down at a skeleton laying over another, a hole in the front of it's skull, the other's ribs were separated on a vertical line. Nick recoiled at the sight, until Jack pushed aside some leaves, revealing an elongated spine, and no legs. "What do you make of this?" He Pointed, concerned, "Those arent human, and by the pelvis shapes its a human male and lamian female."
     Nick knelt down over the spinal section, And traced the spine of the top skeleton until it was covered by a layer of soil, "This was a lamia." Nick explained, "But..." He looked around, And found the region familiar, "I found Isa, just down the hill, that way." Nick placed a hand on the top skeleton's skull, the female, "They were murdered," He added, "She died protecting her lover, Jack, these skeletons..." Nick trailed off, And shed a tear.
     "I Didnt even start to think that," Jack Patted Nicholas' back, "Hey, im sorry, I was thinkin' there were more like her around and, well, It would be nice to meet them." The bootlegger knelt by his friend, "I beached my steamer along the coast not far from here, Nick, Ill leave you some time to recover, Sorry I walloped you with this." Jack stood and passed through the bushes, reclaiming his cheerful facade, "whoo-ee that nick's a real joker!"
     Nick listened for silence, and then he searched the extended hand of the female's remains. To his regret, he found a Small, pink hairband, and a weather-tattered little red blanket.

     Three days since they set sail from the coast of japan, On the fourth night on the pacific ocean, the 8 Crew members slumbered under the stars. Jack snored loudly in his captain's chair, Mary silently dozed on a couch in the cramped mess hall, Her hat over her face.
     Melana stayed awake, reading Mary Shelly's Frankenstein by the moonlight. Isa folded her tail on the bed, trying to stay warm under the covers. Chandra struggled to stay asleep while the ocean rocked the ship. Lydia and Sora's room was neat and organized, their few articles of clothing separated from one another.
     Nick slumbered peacefully on an american-made bed, until he heard the click of his door's latch. He rose from the bed and rubbed his eyes, a blurry Zenia stood in the doorway, wrapped in her bedsheet. "Zenia?" Nick whispered sleepily, and squinted his eyes at the alarm clock on his night stand, "It's two in the morning, What is it? what do you require?" Nicholas asked in a whisper, Isa slept across the hall, Melana to the right, and Chandra to the left.
     Zenia strided to the opposite side of the bed and let go of the sheet, revealing herself in the pale moonlight, "Ive never shown you my favorite scars, have I, Nick?" She Asked, and laid down next to him, "You have some I like, too." She touched her right arm, The horizontal scar on the side of her bicep, "This one you beat me for the first time, and this one," She touched one hidden under her chin, "Thats from alice, you cut the vine as it lashed out." Zenia pulled herself close to Nick and touched his chest, the tiny scar under his collar bone, "This one," She smiled and laughed quietly, "The first time my blade caught you." Her amber eyes with their thin, slit pupils met Nick's mossy green eyes.
     Nick smiled at her, placed one hand on her hip, And The other under her pillow, then pulled her closer as she put her arms over his shoulders, "My favored scar is the one right here," He touched the scar across zenia's breasts, The salamander cocked her head in curiosity, "This one I gave to you, and you gave something else to me."
     Zenia kissed Nick's forehead, "What would that be?" She asked.
     Nick smiled and stroked her thick, amber hair, "Love, sweetie," He responded, "But I dont think you answered when I asked what you needed."
     Zenia touched Nicholas' cheek, "You." she whispered, and she rolled onto her back.