Truths

The next morning, I woke up with a raging headache due to being up until four a.m., curled up into a shaking ball, trying and failing to ward off the intrusive thoughts that buzzed through my brain. The minute I shut off my alarm clock, I knew I wasn't going to work.

I got out of bed and wandered into the bathroom, lifting my shirt up and twisting around to look at my back in the mirror. What were open cuts yesterday, were now very faint scars. I knew the scars would fade soon too. The wound on my arm from Juuzou's teeth was much deeper, and was still slightly open and painful. I pulled a roll of gauze out of the first aid kit Sasaki kept in the bathroom and wrapped it around the wound, holding the loose end in my teeth before taping it down.

Sasaki was in the kitchen, making breakfast like he did most mornings.

"Good morning, Y/N-chan, how are you feeling?"

"Morning Sasaki-san. Uh, I have a really bad headache. Can I...Can I stay home today?"

"Sure. Today's just a paperwork day, you can type up your report at home." He smiled at me.

"Thanks, Sasaki-san. I'm going back to bed now."

I lay on my bed still unable to sleep, simply staring at the ceiling. 

Saiko woke up at the last minute before leaving as usual, waving goodbye to you as she scrambled out the door.

Once the squad left, I was just starting to drift to sleep when my phone buzzed. I groaned and picked it up.

"Hello?"

"Hi Y/N-chan, it's Juuzou."

I sat up. "Hi Juuzou, what's going on?

"Well...I kind of need food..."

"Sure. I can get you some. Meet me by the abandoned apartment complex by the cute little home-style coffee shop in twenty minutes."

"Okay!" 

I hung up the phone and rushed around to get ready to leave.

Why did I only give myself twenty minutes?

I went to the refrigerator and pulled out one of the sealed envelopes that was kept in the drawer.

Sorry Sasaki, I'll replace this soon.

I buttoned up my coat and headed out.

**

I saw Juuzou from a block away. He had spotted me and was waving his arm above his head. I waved back as I got closer.

He looked so much better than when I'd last seen him. His eyes were bright, and he looked clean. His hair was actually combed.

"Hey Juuzou." I handed him the package. I wished I could greet him with a hug, but I knew that wasn't appropriate- not anymore.

"Hi Y/N! Thank you!"

"You're welcome. Well...I guess I'd better get going."

I shuffled my feet awkwardly. "Actually, Juuzou, do you wanna go for coffee?"

He looked at me, a little surprised. "S-sure. But I don't have anywhere to carry this so I need to eat it first." His expression turned to one of embarrassment.

"There's no need to be embarrassed Juuzou. I let you eat my own flesh, I'm pretty sure you can eat in front of me. Let's go over here."

He followed me behind the row of empty apartments, some of them with windows knocked out, some of them dilapidated. I sat down on a crumbling bench in the courtyard full of dead trees. I patted the bench next to me.