09

It's been four months and Sakiko and Mako have gotten closer and closer then ever before.

"Every thing goes by so quick." Kiko said as her and Mako walked the streets at night, just like they do almost every night. "What do you mean?" Mako asked.

"Like, I've been here for almost six months, but it felt like just yesterday I met you and Bolin." Kiko said softly. "I've been having a really fun time here. I told Bolin that I came here to start over, and he told me that he hopes that Republic City is my finish line."

"I hope it is." Mako said. "I hope it is too." Kiko nodded, agreeing. "Why wouldn't it be?" asked Mako. "Oh, I don't know." Kiko sighed. "to change the subject....I've been meaning to write to my older brother."

"You have an older brother?" Mako asked. "Yeah. My parents died when I was just born. Well, kinda. My dad died a couple months before I was born, and my mom died while giving birth to me." Kiko explained. "I grew up with my grandparents. Me and my brother are eight years apart, and when he finally figured what happened to my mom, he blamed me for her death. When he turned twenty two, he left the fire nation to who knows where."

"When he left, I was so angry all the time. I actually thought that I really was the reason for her death. I just wanted him to love me. But, when he left... it just kinda broke me." Kiko said. "I don't know if he still blames me. I don't know if he hates me. I haven't seen him in six years. I just want to know if he's okay."

"You should write to him. Who knows, maybe he's been wanting to write to you, but he hasn't because he thinks you hate him or something." Mako shrugged. "Maybe." Kiko nodded. Kiko stopped walking and Mako did the same. "What's wrong?" He asked.

Kiko looked up at him and he walked closer to her. "What if he's dead somewhere?"

"No, no, don't say that." Mako shook his head. He placed his hands on her cheeks. "He's fine. I know it."

Kiko looked into his Amber eyes, and leaned in. Soon enough, their lips were touching. Oh, Mako has been waiting for this moment for so long.

They pulled away and Kiko began to softly laugh. "What?" Mako asked, smiling. "Nothing. Just-"

Kiko screamed as something grabbed onto her waist and pulled her into the air and to the dark night.

Mako frantically looked up and metal benders came down from the air, holding Kiko with her mouth covered with one of the men's hands.

From the back, another man came up front. "Toshi." Mako gritted. "Mako! I haven't seen you in forever!" Toshi chuckled. "How've you been?"

"Let her go, Toshi!" Mako yelled. "Keep it down Mako. We wouldn't want anyone to hear us now, would we?"

Mako's eyes were brought to Kiko and her eyes had tears barely coming out as a knife was held close against her throat, barely touching her.

"This is about the money? isn't it?" Mako asked. "Lucky guess." Toshi smirked. "You'd really kill someone just for your god damn money?!" Mako raised his voice, but calmed down as he saw the knife get closer to Kiko.

"Isn't this Bolin's girl friend?" Toshi asked, taking a look at Kiko. "When I visited your home, he told me that she was."

Bolin did tell Mako he told this to Toshi. "He was lying. Just to protect her." Mako sighed. "I don't see how that could protect her. It makes no difference." Toshi shrugged. "Now, enough small talk."

"The money." Toshi raised his eyebrow. "Listen, Toshi. We've been getting the money rather quickly. But, we're just a few hundred dollars short and-"

"If you don't have the money, then she comes with us." Toshi pointed to Kiko. "This isn't fair Toshi!"

"Fair?! Life isn't fair, Mako. You're the only person I know who knows that just as much as I do."

"I'm sure this girl means a lot to you and your brother." Toshi said. "She does." Mako nodded. "Then, we'll make a deal. I'll keep her until I get the money from you and Bolin. I won't hurt her until your deadline comes. Understood?"

Mako can't bend at them or that knife will go straight through Kiko's neck.

Mako shook his head. "No Toshi! Let her-"

Toshi snapped his fingers and down went Toshi, Kiko and his earth benders underground.

"No!" Mako got to his knees. During the five and half months the twenty year old girl has been in republic city, Mako grew to get attached to her. Mako even loved the girl. He hasn't fallen so deep into it yet, but he has fallen in love Kiko. And Mako couldn't help but feel all the blame for what just happened.

"Mako!" Cheif Beifong and Bolin saw the older brother on the floor in the dark, dimmed street. "What happened, bro?" Bolin asked, shaking.

"Toshi." Mako barely said above a whisper. "He took Sakiko."

"Who's Sakiko?" Beifong asked. "She's our close friend." Bolin said. "She came to republic city just a few months ago."

"He said until we get all the money we owe him, he won't hurt her. Until the six month dead line is up, which is just in a couple of weeks." mako said clearly, finally standing up. "You owe Toshi money?" Beifong asked. "I told you. Our past wasn't the best."

"We've been trying to catch Toshi for awhile now. He was drug dealing a few weeks back. C'mon, we'll find your girlfriend." Beifong said, running towards the station, bolin and Mako following her.

"Bolin, call up Korra and Asami." Beifong demanded. Bolin nodded and went to do so. Mako told her what happened earlier and why he didn't physically stop them.

"Underground?" Beifong asked. Mako nodded. "They probably have a tunnel. We'll look everywhere."

Bolin came back. "They're both coming."

"We'll wait until they get here. Once they do, we'll go back to the spot where they took her and look down there. We'll see if there is any track of a tunnel. There has to be."

Mako put his fingers on the bridge of his nose and sighed. "We'll find her Mako. Don't worry." Beifong reassured Mako, placing her hand on the young officer's shoulder.