20

"It was Tenzin who told you that... and Pema." Bolin told Kiko. "But, you don't remember."

"But, you... you look so familiar. Like it's just - what exactly happened to me?" Kiko asked.

"Someone took you and when we went to go save you, the man hit you with lightening. You were out for five days." Mako explained. "And, were thinking maybe the lightening triggered something... I don't exactly know. No one really knows."

Kiko turned her away from Mako and faced Bolin. "I'm so sorry." She pulled him into a hug. "In all honestly... I feel a connection with you. Like me and you had something so strong?"

"We did." Bolin pulled away. "We were bestfriends."

"This is bullshit."

They all turned their heads to Riku who unexpectedly just popped out of nowhere.

"You can't just forget. It doesn't make sense..." Riku sighed. "Listen, I have a plan."

"To get her memory back?" Bolin grinned.

Riku shook his head. "Not a plan for you. For me. Listen, if we go back to maybe the fire nation and we revisit some of our spots, you'll remember me. it'll all be per-"

"Riku, we can't just take her away from here. This is her home." Ren shook his head. "I - we understand you're upset, but-"

Riku cut him off. "She can always just come back."

"If you take her then she may forget every single person here. She needs to be around everyone as much as possible so her brain can't lose her files." Mako said.

"Bullshit." Riku put his eyebrows together. "You just don't want her to forget you! C'mon, admit it. That's all you care about. What? You're scared you won't find another girl who wants you like she does?"

Mako pointed a finger. "A lot of girls want me just as much as she does! I can go with them whenever I want! But, I don't because if I left, she'd have nothing and-"

"Sorry to cut you off" Kiko softly said. "And I'm sorry if I'm your charity case who's holding you back from all those girls who want you so badly. I tricky am sorry. And Y'know, since if you leave, I'll just be all alone and you'd feel too guilty.
Wouldn't want that for you."

Mako sighed. "That's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean Mako?!" Kiko raised her voice. "Is that why you didn't say I love you back? I'm just the fool who fell for you and you just stuck by me because I need friends more than anything?! If I didn't get in that accident, would you still be here? Here, I'll make it easier for you... you don't have to worry about me anymore. We're through."

"Sakiko-"

"I'm doing you a favor, right? Well, you're welcome."

Sakiko grabbed Ren's arm, opening the door after wards and leaving the apartment room.

Mako stood there with no expression... no words to say.

"Fight for her bro!" Bolin yelled, gesturing his hand to the door she left out of just a few seconds ago.

"What's the point?" Mako crossed him arms, leaning back on the wall.

"What do you mean what's the point?" Bolin widened his eyes.

"She's going to forget me anyway. Might as well get cracked now now before I actually break when it happens." Mako sighed.

"You're pathetic." Riku scoffed.

Mako intently looked at him before walking towards him and punching him in his face. Riku fell to the floor, holding his bloody nose.

Bolin stood their dumbfounded.

"You don't know how long I've been wanting to do that." Mako said.

Riku stood up and instead of punching him back like he wanted to, he left out the door.

"Mako..."

"I can't fight for her..." Mako sighed. "Do you know how badly I want to say "I love you" to her? I can't... I'm afraid."

"Mako... but what you said earlier..." Bolin shook his head. "It sounded like you were just here just because."

"He just got me so mad... I-"

Mako looked down at the floor. "I'm an idiot."

"A huge idiot." Bolin sighed.

"Look, now shes probably really going to think of leaving... there's nothing here for her anymore." Bolin wiped a tear from his eye. "You need to do something."

"Like what?" Mako faced Bolin.

"Tell her you love her. You need to tell her before it's too late.... before she leaves. And I'm not just talking about her leaving republic city. I'm talking about leaving you."

"I can't say for all of us because she's already left half of us. Go Mako."

Mako nodded, running out his and his brothers apartment and went to go look for Kiko.

"You've got to be kidding me."

Mako stared at Kiko who was hugging Riku tightly. They started to talk after they both pulled away, Kiko wiping a few tears from her eyes.

Ren saw him and shook his head. Not in dismay or disappointment, but as if he was saying, "not now."

Mako shoved his hands into the pockets of his jeans and walked the opposite way.

He didn't know where he would go... and he didn't care.

He couldn't care less if he ended up in a ditch because that's actually where he wants to be right now.