Chapter FOUR

So here we are, walking through the hallways, all chill and nice, generally trying to lighten up the mood. Peering out windows of see-through glass, watching the darkness shimmer and glint, catching a bite every now and then. Attempting to act like friends when, in fact, we just met and are totally awkward. Every once in a while, we would lose our location, but there was always a map somewhere nearby, although most were pretty scratched up.

The only thing that was setting me off was the fact of how Argon never once asked about my life, my family, or anything revolving around my life. Sure, he might have asked about what I was doing before once or twice for scientific reason, but still, I expected him to want to know me better. At least ask my favorite color, for sakes!

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. In the blue, I turned around and snapped at my buddy, "Why aren't you asking about my life at all?! Are you suspicious of me or something? Do you have a secret grudge about my personality, or my looks? Because bro, everyone seems to comment on my smoking hot thighs!"

In a few short seconds, Argon was staring at me as if I announced my hypothesis of how each and every one of us will inevitably die, seemed to stutter for something to say. I felt annoyed at how frustrating this guy could be, but it somehow was like, in a, giddy way? No, no, not possible, shut up.

In a softer voice which was laced with doubt of belief, the smart dude finally responded with an uncomfortable, "I don't ask you to believe me, but I feel as though I had a... sort of dream, and I felt as if I asked someone too many times, and we... ended up killing each other, I guess... Sounds strange, I know..."

Honestly, I didn't expect such a detailed explanation. Now I kind of feel bad for the guy; he was just seeming to be cautious enough, even if it was a dream. To be honest, I don't know anyone who would do anything different. Therefore, to cheer him up from his sudden awkward state, I patted his shoulders gently while pulling him in for a hug. He seemed to tense up for a few seconds, but he relaxed and allowed me to embrace him.

"I won't blame you, and instead of being a regretful annoying twat like I always am, I'm going to shut my mouth and respect your decisions," was all that I commented with, afterwards letting go and trotting down the hall, searching the dark walls for a map. Surprisingly, my statement seemed to have shocked Aragdonn in his place, so it took him a little bit of time to catch up. He can be such a slow poke at certain times, I've observed.

Minutes further, another groan escaped my lips, "How much further?" To which Argon chuckled and simply left my words untreated. Maybe it was better that way, who knows!

However, I just happened to notice that as we progressed further down the hallways, the lights seemed to become dimmer and dimmer, which is quite a concerning thing. Quietly, I asked my buddy if he knows duck about the light system, to which he did not. Now, me, having flown through a very bright sunlight earlier, did not appreciate this. Thankfully though, Argon just so luckily brought two flashlights with him! I felt as though I should have thanked him for that, but at the time, I let it slip and simply nodded gratitude.

More minutes by, and we stood outside the computer room; passing by many, many doors, and many, many chains of hallways, it all looked too similar, therefore we had (stupidly) passed by at least twice. Also, we may or may not have completely disregarded the sign above the doorway which read 'Cameras' in flashing white and blue colors. Flashing.

Once we finally walked inside and flipped the lights switch up, I noticed how similar the room was to the very first one I walked into; the one with bitch-face? Yeah, that one. Let's try to forget about that dead room...

Around the small box of a room were monitors; they lined shelves, sat on desks, and some even sat absently in the corner, dead screens and cracked boxes. All of them had a wire attachment to some wall, or at least a plug; maybe these were old computers.

In any case, the loading screens were different; in fact, no such thing showed up for at least a minute, just a black screen. At last, the screen divided into four sections, each showing a camera monitor's station, with the words 'Cam 04' or '03' or some other number that represented some place or area.

After digging around the past files for minutes on end in complete silence, Argon concluded with absolutely fricking nothing. "I can't find anyone, and it doesn't seem as though anyone has moved on the outskirts..." Argon muttered, while using his left hand to rub his temple in an attempt to calm himself. I, on the other hand, could only ask in a haze of confusion, "Does this mean that you can't see deeper into the station, and that we'll have to goose chase some idiots?"

Followed after a sigh, my friend proceeded to try to explain his reasoning to me: "Not necessarily; you see, we could delve deeper into the station, but frankly, that would waste a lot of time. I see now that we are, at least in theory, alone, and by ourselves. It might take a little bit of time, but we could figure this out and maybe reset the effects, but there is no guarantee of having enough time."

Quickly, I weighed our options, and decided that even though I had a zero percent want to go searching around in danger, exploring the outskirts more would be of use. Asking softly, "Is there any other use from the outer hallways and rooms?" To which afterwards earned a huff of concentration (which, to me, sounded more like a huff of frustration).

"I guess that notes and things could be a priority...."

"Great! Then let's get moving!" I exclaimed in response as I marched out of the room, only stopping to a crossway between the same continuing hallway and another one leading inwards; maybe we could benefit from going in deeper, I thought.

Swiftly, Argon followed me out but didn't take another step away from that rectangular doorway. In an unsure voice, he asked me, "Are you sure that you want to go in that direction? Because there might be- "

His sentence was cut off by dim red lights shining all over the hallways, along with a sharp and forceful shudder, leading to both of us stumbling about and trying to grab a wall. "Glass destruction in hallway section 58A. Immediate reconstruction required," Was what a robotic voice echoed around the walls, and oh boy, that didn't sound like good news.

While turning around to hunch at Aragdonn and bother him about where exactly '58A' was, my eyes only subtly collided with the floor, because my feet where suddenly floating upwards again. In a panic that was also filled with frustration of this thing happening again, I stared at Argon with furred eyebrows, trying to figure out how I could float over to him.

Unfortunately for me, my friend simply thought for a split second before pushing himself backwards and slamming the door button, giving me a last apologizing look as the door closed, supplying him a safe vent, and shutting me out.

Oh, how that fucking pissed me off. If I could, I would've slammed my fists on that door and cussed my head off! However, life called to me and asked if I still wanted its last piece of pie. Spinning around once more, I looked down the unique hallway which lead inwards, immediately placing my bets in there. Awkwardly, I kind of swam my way throughout the corridor, resisting the urge to gasp or breathe; it was irritating to pass by two rooms which had windows, which spoke up to be a bad choice.

Realizing that I had a limited supply of air in my human lungs, I leaped towards a third door with no windows and an open doorway; once inside, I spotted no vents, but I hope to God that this will work.

Punching the button, the door closing, and I collapsed to the floor on my knees, gasping with tired gulps. Afterwards regaining most of my body oxygen, I stood up fully, only for a rougher, jagged convulse to run through the base, proceeding to smash my face and shoulder into the door edge, the blow hazing my vision. Painfully, my feet trailed backwards, only for them to slip as the tiles gave way.

Tired of struggling, I watched as my body slipped through the growing hole, rocks and wires scratching my open skin. After a few long-feeling seconds through blackness, a crushing weight sat on top of me as I crashed into some sort of stone-hard floor. I was surprised at my ability to breathe oxygen, but who do I know, I felt sort of loopy with all of this thrashing around.

And what do you know, a blackout.