Chapter NINE

Once we had climbed up the ladder, the vent systems lead onwards until there was an opening, which we all dropped down from – after we fell, we were in a room that was similar to the front of a plane or ship, with two chairs, a wheel, and many small buttons, with a giant window. And let me tell you, I would have been amazed at the scene that was outside the dense glass-like wall, but I was distracted by the dead body lying in the first seat.

The body, it wasn't like the bitch-face in the very first room I saw, this was more like this person just died. Although I want to give you details about my entire experience with this journey, I feel as though it would be too gruesome and way too thorough for this story. For a summary: this person was stabbed to death.

Mitsuko was looking at the person almost like me, although she wasn't as surprised with me the amount of blood; Sila had to take the lead and reached out shaky hands to the person's shirt. She didn't want to get her hands all bloody, but that was kind of unavoidable at this point.

In few seconds time, she retreated and looked at us with unease. "The name tag said 'Captain Eduardo'," was all that she explained, not much more needed to be said. At first, I refused to believe it, because who would kill the captain of the, station, or whatever it is for no reason?

"What does this mean for us? What are we going to do now, walk around and fiddle our thumbs? Is there anything we can- "I started, but Mitsuko politely shushed me in a quiet tone, however loud enough to catch my attention. The blonde-haired pointed at the screens above the controls, adding "Look at the cameras – they're showing the outside of the ship, all around."

This certainly caught my eye, and I only had to glance to understand her concern. I expected to see some cameras filled with blackness, stars, and galaxies, whilst others would be filled with the green and blue of Gavaspia. But what I actually saw on all the cameras? Complete space, nothing else.

Consequently, Sila started to freak out; she clutched her jaw, stuttering about how we ended up there, where was Gavaspia, where were we headed, and the such. She looked stressed – her hair was uneven, eyes bigger than normal, clothes raveled, and I felt sorry for her. But at the same time, she needed to pull her shit together. She was the only person who knew the way around that we could find!

Hence, I grasped her wrists, and proclaimed, "I know that you're all concerned and everything, but you're our main lead! You have to tell us what to do, where to go! We cannot lose you, do you understand?"

In a slow manner, Sila nodded and took a shaky but deep breath, pushing away her worries, and then stepped away. She uttered a quiet 'thank you' before looking at the controls, squinting her eyes. Whatever had caught her attention was so interesting that she was willing to lean over Eduardo's dead corpse, before pushing herself away, suddenly getting worried. "Hull capacity in section E9, the area where all the machines operate, is about to collapse. Something is tearing away at it! If it breaks, then this ship could be ripped apart!"

I would have asked why the machines are in one area, but apparently that's how the ships worked. Nevertheless, Mitsuko pondered, "There's no way we can stop it?" To which Sila vigorously shook her head, one that was fast and quick, and it seemed as though her worries had come back.

"Where is the emergency system, there's gotta be some sort of mini-ship or something similar right?!" I urged, seeing how Sila stiffened up; we were in a hurry, so I shook her, glared at her, frustrated at how silent she was becoming. Although, now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn't have been so rough with her; after all, she wasn't the captain, she didn't know everything about the mapping and system for the ship. I wish I could forgive her...