Chapter TWELVE

Once again, I was thrust into an eerie hallway that spoke of death and terrors, reminding me of those old-school haunted houses that never really worked correctly on scaring anyone but still gave those chills up your spine. However, the only thing different was that I was completely and utterly alone. No super sidekick next to me, no scientist girl jotting down notes, nothing.

Putting a protective hand on the closest wall, I shimmied my way out, going forwards instead of down the staircase. Whatever was happening in there was not my problem anymore.

On my right side was an open entrance, what seemed like tables seated in the middle, a lamp to the side flickering on and off rapidly. Totally spooky. The only pointer really important to me was the metal ladder way in the back, climbing up, which was always a joy. I mean, come on, it's typical for a character to look over the edge and BOOM! Surpirse from the enemy!

I wasn't going to get scared by that small spider in the corner top! I was a determined individual, willing to get their hands cold and their feet chopped off if it meant survival (makes no sense, but just don't ask, okay?) When, at length, I reached the bottom, I gripped a ladder ring in my hands and heaved up, taking two at a time. The air itself seemed to get darker – or maybe it just felt that way, like a psychological thing you do.

As I latched onto the top of the floor above me, a shake rustled throughout the ship, showering small bits of metal and scrap onto my head, and I swear I noticed dust shivering down with the bits of gravity left. The floor, seeming to squeak at my sudden weight, defied itself and lifted up slightly, as the ladder shook once I jumped off. Looking around, I had gone up a level, this room representing a lazy attitude, furniture messily splayed about and pushed off to the sides, a trail of crumbs leading outside. Which, might I mention, you always have to follow food crumbs! They always lead to good things, I thought, yet in every fairytale ever, bread crumbs led to probable death.

Toeing next to the wall, a few lights were up and running, but almost dead, no life left in them to keep running; this hallway had two sets of staircases, as if one wasn't enough, yet they seemed to branch out instead of connecting like you would originally think. It was a weird system for a ship's interior to present as.

Here lay a big cafeteria, brooms and brushes resting on the walls, and only here were the lights pretty much in stable condition, which turned on my caution meter.

The only thing that would put me off guard was Johni, an arrow slicing through her chest, the poor girl tied to the flat table with her arms tied, bleeding heavily. In surprise, I stumbled back, knocking into the wall, which caused the brown haired to turn her head, eyes wide.

"Faith," Johni whispered, voice coarse, "You shouldn't stay here." I rushed over, knocking over chairs in about zero care, examining the wound. "Who did this to you?!" I did my best not to shout, being careful, not knowing what could be around any corner here now.

Gulping down both saliva and probably blood, the girl replied, "He reminded me of you... Black crazy hair, those orange eyes searching for vengeance, a thin build..."

At first, I stared, nothing ringing a bell; it was as if my mind had entered a state of denial, but I realized that the person she described was very close to me.

Or at least, he used to. And I didn't want to believe it true.

I stuttered, "I-Is there anything I can do?" Frantically searching around for any first-aid kits, any bandages, something to cover the wound quickly. However, Johni's eyes were fading of their color, skin turning pale, and I glanced at the arrow, wondering if I could somehow take it out safely.