Leading You

Karkat led Dave through the maze of catacombs to where he knew the dead end was. Having to climb up make-shift stairs, leading Dave away from sounds that stirred close to them, avoiding bottomless pits through their path and finally making it to the searched dead end. When he reached the narrow opening to make sure no monsters had spawned inside. When he saw that the small, plain stone cave was cleared, he called to Dave. "It's empty. You can put down your weird fucking human bed-thing and sleep. I'll wait outside so no one kills you while you're asleep. Not that I'd fucking care," Karkat said. 'Wouldn't you, though?' That wicked part of his mind sneered.
'Don't you care about this human?' He shook the thoughts away, telling himself that he was only sitting outside the cave because he had nothing better to do.

Dave followed Karkat through the maze of a cave, going to the dead end Karkat had been speaking of. Dave came to the narrow opening and looked inside as Karkat called him to there. "Nice." Dave walked inside putting his hand on the stone as he walked inside his new resting place. "Oh and thanks.." Dave said looking back at Karkat, more of a side glance. The red glow laminating Dave's shades giving off a sparkle at the tips.

"It's nothing," Karkat replied.

'Why am I trusting him so much? Sure I can but he's just like the things that could've killed you like all those other times.' Dave thought to himself as he set the bed down. 'It's obvious you care for him. You letting him help you and all.' A voice he could only hear answered his question. Dave's jaw clenched at the return of the voice, hoping he had banished it for good once he was finished grieving over the lost of his brother. It stopped him from doing the normal things he could do on his own; fear feeding off of his pride. It was back again.

Dave ignored it. Laying back on his bed, starring up at the block ceiling. It wasn't his home but in away it felt better than it normally did when he ever was at home. The air might be stale and dull but it wasn't heavy and overbearing. He closed his eyes, sighing out heavily, as everything slowly faded to black.

Once Karkat heard Dave settling down in the cave, he sat down on a stone nearby and propped his chin on his hand, starring into the darkness. He couldn't hear anything besides the ambient cave noises. Soon enough, Karkat was fighting to keep his eyes open; he never rested due to his wariness, and he had thought that monsters didn't need sleep. Eventually he nodded off, his glowing red eyes fluttering shut, head still propped on his hand.

Dave feel into a quiet sleep, enough so he could jerk himself out of it if a uneasy force was getting close to him and enough to finally rest his tired limbs. He kept his shades on cause it usually gave him advantage on monsters so they wouldn't be trying to sneak up on him so easily. Though, mainly for cool eyewear.

Monsters normally didn't require any sleep, but Karkat's flight from his pursuers had taken its toll. He fell into a dreamless sleep, the anger constantly etched onto his features melting away. He looked calmer than he ever could during his waking hours. Calmer and more vulnerable. If Karkat was more conscious, he would have reprimanded himself for showing this much of actual emotions.

Dave took his time with his sleep. Traveling this cave for the longest, first trying to get through it now trying to get out of it. After an hour of wandering, he lost track of time and started to forget the way he came. It felt like after he entered the damn thing was magically sealed off from the earth. It looked simple on the outside, just to go straight threw then end up on the other side. Sadly, he was all wrong and traveled blindly through the cave. He had a couple of torches with him but they all burned out just before he found, thought he found, red stone. Though he ended up finding a friend's eyes. Finally, he was able to be off his feet and actually rest for his own good. Or so he thought.

When Karkat woke, he cursed at his stupidity. Any mindless zombie could've attacked and hurt him or Dave while he had slept. "Shit," he hissed. "Holy fucking shit I can't believe I let myself let my guard down." Then he realized that Dave must still be sleeping. He fought the urge to go inside the small cave to check, but curiosity got the best of him got the better of him. He peered into the cave. Dave was sleeping soundly on that strange human device. 'What the fuck are you doing?' He asked himself. 'You'll wake him up!' He listened to the voice of reason in his head and quickly turned away from the room, leading on the wall outside. He honestly had no idea why he cared so much about this human he just met. Karkat would lead him out, and they'd never see each other again. And that was the end of it.

---

A/N:

wow this was a crappy chapter.

like only 895 words. Yes I am ashamed. Sorry just I finally do have my super duper fun summer going on but I have the sense to stay up till 3-5am and it doesn't work well on me. And plus procrastination is literally eating away at my mind, w h y.

anyway, apologies apologies for it being the shortest chapter. Onto the next upd8 !!!

~ psych0