Leading You Too (Part 2)

Dave rested on as a dream began to form. His dreams always unusually vivid whenever he had them, recalling most of them well but obviously making no sense when explaining them verbally. This time was different but not the first.

He watches himself wander dimly in the darkness, head hanged low and the same poker-face still expressionless as ever. No distress, no hurrying, just aimlessly wandering in the darkness. He held a large kanata that dragged besides him on what seems stone-like ground by the sound it made. Dave stopped in his tracks. Listening to distanced foot steps and a faded voice.

A familiar one, " ...ave.."

Dave lifted his head ever so slowly. He didn't dare to call out, it was never a good show when his guardian had found him alike the many times before. He bit his lip, his hold tightening on the kanata.

"DaEVe.." It got louder and closer to him now having the slow revealing fear swell up in his insides, he couldn't move even if he pushed himself to. His demands getting more strict and aggressive for him to continue moving on. Though is body wanted to shout the name that burned in his throat. It only made him clenched his teeth tighter together. His inhales where sharp, silent and quick.

He didn't even think to turn, he followed the call and turned. Nothing. The same powdery, suffocating, darkness with dull red lights, moving slowly around as if they were searching for something mindlessly, only greeted him from the call. Dave heaved quietly, a cold sweat covering him, he couldn't hold it any longer.

"Bro..?" The platinum blonde called out, waiting for anything, something, but it never came. He must of been going crazy, losing his mind. Dave should've known how this cliché works anyway. He turns around, relieved, there's no one behind him then– wait.

"Dave." He opened his eyes widely, his name had been whispered into his ear.

Behind him his guardian stood there. Clothing shredded, skin burnt; with boils, irritated claw slashes and bites, stab wounds, puss running down from the wound and burn infections. Hair burned, showing his bloodied scalp, shades cracked and showing an orange crazed eye looking down at him. Lip and cheeks ripped from his face, showing his bleeding gums and rotten teeth.

"DAVE."

He ran.

Dave put as much spring and power into his first step and shoot off. He didn't look back. He didn't want to look back. He kept running as much as his legs could take him, then he couldn't feel them. Then he was going slower. Dave stopped and looked at his feet, black sludge was eating at him. Pushing more and more through it but he only continued to sink deeper and deeper. Getting waist deep is when he couldn't move any longer. He trembled and panicked, cursing at his ignorance. Dave followed the trail of sludge, it lead to him. He just stood back facing him, ignoring Dave's cries for help.

Neck deep now, going down fast. Dave's mouth was eventually drown out by the sludge. Dave coughed out a final call. Karkat. He finally looked back at him. His scarlet eyes burning bright, but dull in expression. Then the red lights stopped, and all shined on Karkat.

Dave's eyes snapped open, a sharp gasp of air filling his as if he hadn't been breathing the hole time. He sat up on his bed, clenching at the sheets. He took his shallow breaths, calming himself slowly as the moment passed. He remembered the dream, the nightmare, he had a moment ago. Remembering Karkat in the dream, how he sat there and watched him drown. Cruel. Though, calmed him oddly. Why?

*****

As Dave slept, Karkat contemplated the human. It was certainly strange, a human and a monster on speaking terms. From what he'd heard most players kill hostile and neutral mods on-sight, especially Endermen. Dave probably hadn't only because he didn't had a sword.

'Or he's different,' whispered a part of his mind that wanted to befriend Dave. He banished those thoughts back to the corner of his mind, along with the thoughts that made his heart catch in his throat whenever Dave looked at him directly. He had no idea what it meant but he didn't like it one bit and wanted to stop as soon as possible. He was jolted from his thoughts when he heard rustling sheets and sharp breathing from the cave behind him.

Karkat grew worried, he scolded himself for that, and peered into the small cave. Illuminating it slightly with the red glow from his eyes. His gaze fell on the human, who looked very troubled and was sitting up.

"Dave? What's wrong?" Karkat asked. He cursed himself for letting worry seep into his voice. Dave didn't have to know that he cared. Dave couldn't know he cared.