Wash Away

Karkat then realized how close the two of them were. The cave where Dave had set up his bed was small already, but with a human and a monster in it, it seemed minuscule, as if the walls were pressing them together. Their faces were too close for Karkat's comfort.

Close enough that he could he could've leaned forward and— fuck no. No no no no.

What the actual fuck am I thinking?! Karkat screamed at himself, He's still a human! He would never like you like that! And you don't either! Karkat resisted the urge to back away; it would have hurt Dave's feelings. Instead he looked away and hoped that Dave couldn't read his blasphemous thoughts off his face like a book.

Dave watched as Karkat came out of his hands. His relaxed look coming back to him; having the Karkat's ounce of trust put him to ease. He took a quick moment to think it was actually nice to have someone, a monster to be exact, here; that liked him. He looked at Karkat, threw his shades of course. A light smile, was followed by it, forming onto his lips.

"You're welcome, and thanks." Dave replied softly, raising his eyebrows as he said so. Dave knew they were close but then he realized that he was closer, to him. The cave seemed smaller somehow, he thought he'd might of miss judge the size but it was probably him. Their bodies were a lot closer than they thought, a bit too much for his comfort.

Dave slowly looked to Karkat's lips, he slowly got lost staring at them; his eyes lowering; his heart beating softly in his ears, his breathing low it even felt like everything slowed down in time...

Do it.

Wait. Did he just–no. Fuck that. Shove yourself off a cliff. Dave quickly came back to reality, he wanted to grab a extra stone in his bag and hit himself in the face repeatedly. He was mentally stomping the voice into the deepest think place he had in his mind; with a constant 'nope' every time he put a stomp on the thought.

/Why did I just?!– How could I just?! No! The platinum blonde shouted in his mind, a light pink coming over his cheeks, it was pretty uncomfortable.
He's a monster! If anything he wouldn't like you that way! Better be thankful he likes you at all! He barked at the sneering voice and himself in his head. He was glad he wore his shades, making it hard to read his expression.

Dave decided to break the silence, and to have his mind in other places. "So, what do you like about me?" Dave was actually really curious about this, what did he have or qualify to make this monster like him?

Karkat thought about Dave's question for a moment; he wasn't quite sure why he liked the human so much.

"I don't really know." Karkat admitted. "Probably cause you don't let your emotions get to you. You don't really reveal anything. I wish I was like that. Plus, you–you didn't attack me or, or anything. Even though you had every reason to." He couldn't believe he had to admit that out loud. All of it was true, of course, but he hadn't ever meant for Dave to know that he thought highly of him.

The two of them were still close enough to make Karkat a bit uncomfortable, but he wanted more than anything to get closer. He couldn't, he shouldn't be thinking that at all, but he couldn't bring himself to stop. Just being friends with a human was pushing the line; a hug would be like barreling across the line. Karkat couldn't bring himself to actually move forward and do it. He probably never would. He just hoped that Dave couldn't see what he was thinking, because he could have sworn you could see his thoughts in his eyes.

Dave's smile grew a bit on his face, hearing what Karkat liked about him. He never knew he stood out this much to him, he thought it would be something simple and nothing much.

"Thanks." Dave remembered to thank him for it. His first ever comment, from a monster. He couldn't really believe that this was getting him more happy than it should be. They were still close than Dave meant to be, he was probably making them both uncomfortable; but he still had the urge to be closer than they needed to be.

Dave couldn't believe he was thinking this much about a monster on his mind. Practically being friends and touching the monster was pushing the line too much. There was pretty much a small waist-high wall between them, a hug will be stepping over the wall; and you would be shoved back over to your side if trying to hug him. The miner probably couldn't even bring himself to actually put his arms around the Enderman.

Dave thought he could see something in Karkat's eyes, not his reflection, no. He couldn't tell what, but there was something there...
"Hey Karkat, what do you mean? No one ever.. what? You never finished." Dave was probably bending the line at the moment, caring a lot more of what the Enderman was upset than leaving.