Chapter 29: Lilly

"Come on Nate! It's the last fight in this tournament." I pleaded, sitting on the chair opposite Nate while he ate Cheerios in Xavier's spotless kitchen. 

I was discharged three days after being admitted to the hospital, the bruises were still there but it didn't ache that much anymore. It took Nate more time to leave the hospital; after all they had to make sure that everything was fine and he won't suffer from anything serious due to being in a coma for that long. 

A few weeks later and here we are chatting animatedly when I bring up the fight. I had to tell him now; I was dragging this moment on and on afraid of his reaction till I waited for the last moment. 

"Nate, listen to me. The fight is tonight! I have to go please, you have to understand!" I pulled the hand that was gripping that table and held it between two of mine. I looked up to gauge his reaction and he looked relaxed. 

"Lilly, you know how I feel about this. You're going to get hurt so bad like last time and end up in the hospital again. What if it's worse? What if I lose you? Lilly if you're doing this because of the money, then don't. I'll give you everything you need, I'll take care of you." Nate whispered as his grip on my hand tightened but then I pulled away. The thought of being anyone's charity case makes me see red and Nate should know better. 

"Nate, I'm not your God damn charity case. You're my boyfriend not my dad. I have a responsibility Nate towards my mom and myself so, please try to understand. I'm going to that fight Nate, whether you like it or not." I grabbed my leather jacket from the nearby chair, ready to take-off and train a bit before the fight but I was stopped by a hand wrapping around my waist and pulling me into a hard chest.

"Damn Lilly, what are you doing to me?" Nate whispered close to my ear making me shiver slightly. 

"Okay, fine. We'll go together." Nate said as he grabbed my hands and his car keys off the counter.

"WE? No, wait you're in no condition to leave this house." I explained as Nate continued dragging me to the grand wooden doors. 

"Oh and you're in the perfect condition to fight. Right?" Nate retorted, throwing me a smirk over his shoulder.

As we made our way out of the house and into Nate's car, the nerves kicked in. I didn't have  any time to practice before this fight. Between Ashton, the hospital and Nate I was booked. I didn't even have time to see who I was competing against and when I asked Ryan to take a look for me he said that it wasn't important which is really weird. 

After screaming the directions to Nate and getting lost twice we finally made it to the gym. Ryan would meet us in a while to train with me, he was kind of my coach after all!

"So this is the place you hide in half of the time when I can't find you." When I just glared back at Nate he answered with a "Good to know." 

The gym was already empty as everyone has made their way to the arena the fight was in a couple of hours anyway. But I didn't like going too early, I had nothing to do there before the fight. 

Just as I was about to make my way to the gym's locker room, Ryan burst through the door; heaving and dripping in sweat. "Lilly, you can't fight this time!" Ryan shouted as Nate snorted and folded his hands over is chest, looking smug like always. 

"My God! It's none of anybody's business. I'm going to do this okay?" I replied as I stared at Ryan waiting for him to show me that he understood what I just said. Instead he started disagreeing with me....again. 

"Lilly, you don't unders-" Ryan tried to explain but I cut him off, I didn't have time for this. 

"And I don't want to understand Ryan. I'm going to fight today Ryan and that's it! Now, Excuse me." I said angrily as I marched to the locker room. I changed out of my leather jacket and jeans into my sports bra and shorts.